Google Photos is one of the most versatile photo and video sharing and storage services out there. It allows you to upload photos or entire albums and also add comments and tag locations.
But most importantly, Google Photos leaves more storage space on your phone or computer. However, sometimes you may need to download an album before you can access it in offline mode.
In this article, we’ll explain how to save a Google Photos album and answer some of the most common questions related to the process.
How to download an album in Google Photos
In the following sections, we will show you how to download Google Photos separately for Windows PC and Mac, as well as for iOS and Android devices.
Keep in mind that saving a Google Photos album to your computer is much simpler than doing it on your mobile device, but it’s still relatively quick.
How to download an album in Google Photos on iPhone
When it comes to downloading the entire album, things are not that simple with Google Photos. You can’t just tap on the album and select the option to download it because Google Photos doesn’t provide it for the mobile app.
Fortunately, there is an alternative solution. Each user of a Google account can access the Google Control Panel of their account and download all their data through Google Takeout.
This is an official Google data recovery platform. This is how all the steps go to download an album from Google Photos to iPhone:
- Open Safari on your iPhone and go to your Google Control Panel.
- You will see the list of all the Google services you use, including Google Photos. Tap the down arrow next to Google Photos.
- The dashboard will show exactly how many photos and albums you have. Tap the three vertical dots at the bottom of that window and select “Download data.”
- You will be redirected to Google Takeout. There you can tap on the “All Photo Albums Included” option.
- Select albums from a specific year or a particular album and tap “OK”.
- Tap “Next Step” and proceed to choose the file type and size. You can select zip or tgz file.
- Finally, tap on “Create Export”.
When the export process is complete, you will receive a notification email. Depending on your album or the size of the album, this process can take a while, sometimes even hours.
How to download an album in Google Photos on Android
If you want to download a single photo from Google Photos on your Android device, it is very easy. All you need to do is open your Google Photos app and:
- Select the photo you want to download.
- Tap the three vertical dots in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select “Download” in the pop-up window.
That’s all about it. Please note that if a photo already exists on your Android, you will not see the “Download” option.
If you want to download a Google Photos album to Android, you will need to follow the same steps as we explained for iOS devices. You may want to use the Google Chrome mobile browser instead.
Also, when the Google Photos album is downloaded to your Android or iOS device, it will be in a zipped folder. You’ll need to find it on your phone and extract the files to view them in the Google Photos app.
How to download an album in Google Photos on Windows
If you’re a Windows user, accessing and managing your Google Photos is relatively easy. You get a great overview of images, videos, and albums.
Sharing and commenting is also made easy, as is downloading an album or multiple albums. This is how you do it:
- Opened Google photos in the web browser of your choice. Chrome, as a Google product, is the most compatible.
- On the left side, you will see a panel with the list of folders. Click on the album you want to download.
- When the album loads, click the three vertical dots in the top right corner of the browser.
- Select “Download All”.
Your Windows computer will automatically zip the album into a zipped folder. All you need to do is select “Save” and choose the location for your zip file.
When you want to download another album, just repeat the steps. You can also access the same menu to edit an album or delete it entirely.
How to download an album in Google Photos on Mac
Mac users can follow the exact instructions provided above for Windows users. It is also recommended to use the Chrome browser for maximum efficiency.
But the steps will work no matter what browser you use. The download may take a while if you are downloading a lot of files, so make sure you have a stable internet connection.
How to download shared albums in Google Photos
If you have one or more shared albums in Google Photos, you can also download these albums. The steps are the same as with albums that are private.
You need to select the “Share” folder on the left panel in Google Photos and select the album you want to download. Remember that if you are only downloading one or more photos from a larger album, you can download them individually and not as an album.
1. How do I download multiple photos from Google Photos?
If you want to download specific photos from an album, that’s something you can easily do by accessing Google Photos in your web browser. That’s how:
• Open the album in Google Photos.
• Click on the top left corner of the photo you want to download. Then continue by selecting other images you want to download from the same album.
• When you have selected everything you want to download, click on the three vertical dots in the upper right corner and select “Download”. Alternatively, click “Shift + D”.
You will be able to download the file in a zipped folder. In the Google Photos mobile app, this option is not available. You can only download one photo at a time.
2. How do I save photos from Google Photos?
All your photos are safely stored in Google Photos. If you want to save them to another device, you have several options. You now know how to save albums and individual photos on your computer and mobile device.
But you can also transfer downloaded albums to external hard drives or flash drives. You can also move all your Google Photos from one Google account to another, or use another cloud-based storage service to move them there.
3. How can I sync my Google photos with my desktop PC?
Syncing your smartphone or tablet with the Google Photos app is simple. You need to open the app, tap on your profile picture and select “Turn on backup”.
Having this feature turned on will ensure that all the photos you take with your phone are automatically uploaded to Google Photos.
Don’t worry, you can choose not to have to charge via mobile data. But when syncing Google Photos with Windows and Mac computers, you need to use the Backup and Sync app for PC.
you can find it here, and by clicking “Download”, you will be able to run it on your computer in no time. Don’t forget to sign in to your Google account and select the specific folders you want to back up from your computer.
4. Can I make albums in Google Photos?
If you can. There are two ways to do it. You can create an album first or then start uploading photos to it, or you can select specific photos and videos and create an album. If you want to create the folder first, go to Google Photos and select “Create album”.
Enter the album name and then start uploading photos. You can also select two or more photos and select the “+” icon at the top of the screen. Then select “Album” and add it to an existing album or create a new album and give it a name.
This process is the same for Google Photos in the web browser and the app. With the slight distinction that on the mobile app it is “New Album” and not “Create Album”.
5. How do I install Google Photos on PC?
The Google Photos desktop app is not yet available. But there is something similar that you can use. It is the PWA (Progressive Web Application) of Google Photos.
This is a type of application that you can download to your computer and upload even without an Internet connection. These apps are reliable and fast, and most importantly, easy to install. Is that how it works:
• Open your Google Photos in Google Chrome.
• In the address bar, click the “+” symbol next to the bookmark star symbol.
• When a pop-up window appears, select “Install”.
Google Photos PWA will be automatically and quickly installed on your computer. You will be able to launch the app and continue uploading and downloading photos and videos.
Manage your Google photos with ease
One of the things users like about Google Photos is that it’s not overwhelmed with features. It has everything you need for an easy-to-use photo storage service.
Perhaps it would be nice to have an easier way to download albums on mobile devices, but it’s still possible with a few extra steps. In browsers, especially Chrome, downloading Google Photos albums on Windows and Mac computers is easy.
Plus, creating and deleting albums in Google Photos is just as fast. And if you want a lightweight desktop version, don’t forget Google Photos PWA.
How are Google Photos albums managed? Let us know in the comments section.