Using an app to help you organize your workflow, ideas, or daily activities has never been easier, thanks to Notion. However, mastering the hundreds of tools this robust platform offers can be a bit challenging at first.
Maybe you’ve just started using Notion and are stuck looking for ways to make a vertical divider on your page.
In this article, we will show you how to do it. We will also provide you with detailed steps on some other cool features like inserting multiple columns and one line or splitting your page horizontally. We’ll also give you tips on how to make your text more interesting to read.
How to make a vertical divider in Notion
Splitting your content vertically will help you separate different ideas or give you a better overview of what each part of the text is about. It is definitely a useful feature to have.
However, Notion doesn’t have a specific feature that allows you to physically separate your content with a line, but we’re here to show you a trick that will do just that.
The best thing about this is that it is very easy to create:
- Launch Notion on your PC or Mac.
- Click on the “New Page” button at the bottom left of the Notion interface. If you already have a page that you want to add a vertical divider to, go ahead and open that page.
- Click the + (plus) icon that appears when you hover over the left side of the margin to add a new content block.
- A small content box will open. Now scroll through the “Basic Blocks” section and look for the “Quote” block.
- Click on it to insert a quote line. This will be your vertical divider. Now we just have to do a bit of customization.
- The quote block will by default take only one line of text. You probably need it to be bigger than that. Just hold down the Shift key and press Enter. The line will continue to go down, so stop pressing ‘Enter’ when it reaches the desired length.
- To move the vertical divider to the center of the page, simply type some text below it and drag that content to the left of the divider line. You can now write or insert new content blocks on both sides of the line.
Pro Tip: You can also create a citation in Notion by typing a quotation mark (“) and pressing Space. In that case, skip to step six.
How to make multiple columns in Notion
Organizing your data in columns is a great way to make it easier to read. With Notion, you simply have to drag and drop a piece of content to the side to make a column.
However, you should know that columns are not visible on phone devices. After all, this is logical due to the smaller screen size. So expect to see your right column below your left if you use Notion on your phone. Your multiple columns will be displayed below each other.
You will be able to see columns normally on an iPad.
Now, here’s how to create multiple columns in Notion:
- Launch Notion on your PC or Mac.
- Open the page where you want to insert multiple columns. If you want to start a new page, simply click on the “New Page” option at the bottom left of the screen.
- Select the piece of text you want to move to a new column. For a new page, just add some draggable content.
- Drag the text or content across the page. To do so, press and hold the two vertical dotted lines symbol in the left side margin next to the specific line of text. This will be your handle to drag and drop content.
- As you drag the text to the right side of the page, you’ll see a blue guideline appear. Just drop the text when the line becomes vertical (otherwise the text will just go below and not to the side of the page).
You just created a new column in Notion!
- Select another piece of text and repeat the steps as many times as you want. You can make two, three, four, or as many columns as you need across the width of the page.
This feature can be useful not only when you want to separate a single text into columns. You can also make sections side by side using different headings. For example, you can have text on one side and a calendar on the other. Or a to-do list on the left and a calendar on the right. It’s safe to say that your options are endless here!
Note: Unfortunately, at this point, Notion does not include vertical dividers by default between columns. If you want your columns to be separated by a line, you need to follow the steps from “How to make a vertical divider in Notion” above. Simply repeat the steps as many times as necessary to make multiple columns. Otherwise, your columns will only be separated by small empty spaces. This shouldn’t be a problem unless you absolutely have to have your columns physically split with a line.
How to insert a line in Notion
You can easily divide your text into different sections by adding a line (called a divider in Notion). It is another useful feature that will further enhance the overall page layout in the app.
The easiest and fastest way to insert a line in Notion is by using a shortcut. All you need to do is type three hyphens (—), and your divider will appear automatically.
Another quick way to insert a divider in Notion is to type a forward slash (/), followed by “div”. Then just click enter.
You can also follow these steps to add a line:
- Hover over the left side margin where your line of text begins.
- Click the + button to add a new content block.
- Scroll down to the “Basic Blocks” section and click on “Divider”.
- This will add a horizontal line that will visually divide your content.
Here are some additional questions you may find helpful when it comes to splitting your content blocks in Notion.
What are vertical and horizontal dividers in Notion?
The vertical and horizontal dividers in Notion are handy features that you can use to visually separate your content.
You can vertically divide your text in two ways: by making columns or by adding a quote. Quotes will be a better option if you want your columns to be separated by lines. Otherwise, we recommend making columns. They just have a more minimalist appeal.
Unfortunately, the current version of Notion does not support adding lines between columns, but its developers might consider adding this option in the future.
To split your text horizontally, you can add a divider. This is a horizontal line that runs from the left side to the right side of your content block and separates it from other content.
You can also add horizontal dividers right after your page header to make it stand out more. It makes your page look better structured and organized.
How do I make my text more interesting to read in Notion?
Whether you’ve been using Notion for a week or a year, there’s always an interesting new way to organize your text. In a way, Notion is like a box of LEGOs: it gives you everything you need to create new things, and it’s up to you to decide how you want to use the material provided.
That’s why there are endless ways to make your text more interesting to read. If we talk about visually structuring your text in a more original way, you can play with dividers, columns and quotes until you build the perfect text structure. You can also add toggle lists, tables, calendars, images, videos, and other stuff.
You can mark your text with different colors, to make it easier to find information. For example, if you copied a text from the Internet for a research project, you can mark the parts that interest you most in green. Or you can highlight words or phrases that you think you could use in your essay.
If you go to the templates at the bottom left of the screen, you can find hundreds of ideas on how to better organize and display your content, to make it more interesting to read.
Finally, you can always visit Notion pages to find out what’s new and how to get the most out of Notion.
How do you add a divider to a page in Notion?
Notion allows you to add a horizontal divider to separate different blocks of content. To add a divider to a notion page, simply follow the steps from “How to insert a line in notion” above.
Optimizing your notion blocks
By now, you probably know why Notion is one of the best productivity apps out there. Not only can this app help you organize basically every aspect of your life, but it will also always leave you wanting more. More text, more to-do lists, more events to plan…
Knowing how to organize your content is essential for this productivity app to work best for you. That’s why we show you how to visually separate your blocks in Notion so that they are perfectly structured. You could see how easy it is to make vertical dividers, columns and lines on your page.
How do you like to split your text in Notion? Do you prefer to make columns or quotes to vertically separate your content? Let us know in the comments section below.