The Facebook search history log keeps a record of all the searches you have done on the platform. Clearing this and your activity log regularly is a great way to ensure your privacy is protected even if you have unauthorized logins. To do this, we’ll show you how you can delete your Facebook search history, among other options from your account’s Activity Log.
Delete search history
Your Facebook search history information is hidden behind various menus that aren’t really obvious. Facebook’s algorithm uses your search history to better refine results every time you search for something. If you regularly search for familiar terms, the search results will show them first if you search for them frequently. However, if you want to delete your search history, you can follow these steps:
1. If you are using the classic Facebook theme
- On the main page, click on your profile icon to open the Profile page.
- Click Activity Log located at the top and inside your cover photo.
- On the Activity Log page, see the menu on the left. If you can’t find Search History, click More to show the hidden options.
- Click Search History to display all your recorded searches.
- Scrolling up and down will show you all of your existing search history by date. You can delete them individually by choosing a search, clicking the Edit button on the far right of the bar, and then choosing Delete.
- You will be asked if you want to delete the search, click Delete search to accept.
- If you want to delete all of your search history, click Clear Searches at the top of the history menu.
- You will be asked if you are sure you want to delete all your searches. Click Clear Searches to confirm.
2. If you are using the new Facebook theme
- Click the down arrow in the top right corner of the page (near your profile).
- Choose Activity Log.
- Look for Search History in the menu on the left. If you can’t find it, click More.
To delete your search history, either individually or in its entirety, follow the instructions outlined in the classic topic.
Other activity log entries
The Activity Log, as the title suggests, contains records of all your activity on Facebook. Unless you regularly delete your logs, you’ll probably find posts dating back to when you first created your Facebook page here. There is currently no way to delete your entire Activity Log, although you can do it individually if you really want to. This is done by choosing a particular entry in the registry, clicking the rightmost edit button, and choosing to allow it on the timeline, keep it hidden from the timeline, or remove it entirely.
Some of the more interesting to-do lists that you might want to explore, whether it’s reviewing posts for deletion or just remembering things you posted years ago, are:
- Posts: These include all of your previous posts, other people’s posts that are on your timeline, posts that mention you or that you’ve tagged, and those that have been hidden from your timeline but are still saved to your history of activities. If you’ve been on Facebook for a long time and are a frequent user, this is going to be a long list.
- Photos and videos: These are the images and clips that you posted, tagged, or are in your albums. This will be the place to find old photos and videos that you may have lost due to time. If you regularly upload to Facebook, most of the time they will probably still be here. It’s a good idea to give this log a good spin, if only to make sure you don’t have photos from your college days still floating around.
- Security and Login Information: Not as comprehensive as the other logs, the Security and Login Information page contains a record of the devices that have logged into your account. This can be a way to find out if others have been able to get into your account without you knowing. However, the log doesn’t go back very far, and some of them list only the IP addresses of the devices that logged in. However, if you suspect a hacking attempt, looking for clues here is a good start.
Security against possible hacks
Although search history helps you easily find the items you often search for, it’s usually not a good idea to have that data on Facebook. Regularly clearing your search history and your Activity Log generally keeps your data safe from potential attacks. Do you have any other tips on how to delete your search history on Facebook? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.