The year 2020 has been the year of remote work. Is it any wonder you have chosen the best app for remote meetings? Zoom is a simple tool that doesn’t complicate things unless you prefer them to be complicated.
It is possible to record a meeting on the world leader in video telephony. However, it may not be obvious to everyone from the start. With that in mind, here’s how to record Zoom meetings, along with a couple of other cool tips on the platform itself.
How to record a Zoom meeting on tablets and smartphones
As with the vast majority of iOS apps, Zoom works the same way on iPads and iPhones. However, there are a couple of discrepancies, although they are minuscule. Here is how to do it step by step.
- Open the Zoom app on your phone/tablet.
- Click Record at the bottom of the screen.
- This will start recording the meeting. You will see a Recording… icon displayed at the top right of the screen.
- To stop/pause recording, tap the Recording… icon.
- To share a recording you have made, you must stop it. Then go to the My Recordings page on the Zoom website.
How to Record a Zoom Meeting on Desktop/Laptop Devices
Although most of the world is moving from a desktop to a mobile device, Zoom meetings are most commonly held in front of a computer, especially when there is business to discuss. It is possible to record Zoom meetings on Windows PCs, Macs, and Chromebooks. Although there is no Zoom app for Chromebooks, the web app in the browser is identical to the desktop app for Windows and macOS.
However, before you start recording a meeting, you must set the default location to save recordings.
- To do this, open the desktop or web app.
- Navigate to the gear icon on the home screen. This will open the settings menu.
- On the left side, click the Recording tab. This should prompt it to create a document folder automatically.
- To change the default folder location, click Change.
- Select the folder location or create a new folder for the desired default location.
Now, here is how to record a meeting on a desktop/laptop device.
- Join or start a call.
- At the bottom of the screen, click More (three dots).
- Click Burn on this computer.
- A Recording… label, located in the upper left corner, will show that you are recording.
- To pause or stop the recording, use the small pause/stop buttons.
- Press pause to pause a recording. A label will appear at the top of the screen, indicating that the recording is paused.
- Press stop to stop a recording. A popup will appear indicating that the recording will be converted to mp4 as soon as the meeting ends.
The video you have recorded will be automatically saved in the default folder, you had not changed it.
How to record a Zoom meeting when you’re not the host
As is the case with many other Zoom features, only the meeting host has control over whether another user can record the Zoom meeting. The best way to record a session is to ask the host for permission to do so. This is what a host must do to grant recording permission.
- Go to the Zoom website. Towards the left of the screen, select Recordings.
- You will see two tabs: Cloud Recordings and Local Recordings. Choose Settings at the top of either.
- Now, check the boxes that will give participants permission to record locally/to the cloud.
Please note, however, that to access Cloud Recoding, you must also be a paying subscriber.
How to record a Zoom meeting when you’re not the host and don’t have permission.
As a host, you need to keep something in mind.
Although you can prevent any user from recording a meeting directly in Zoom, there are easy ways for them to record the meeting. There are several third-party apps that allow the computer/mobile user to record their screencast, for example, and independently of the Zoom app. Almost anyone can download and use these apps. iOS devices, for example, come with this feature by default. The video will be of lower quality if a meeting is recorded this way, but they can still do it.
So if you are a user who cannot get recording permission from a host, there are ways around it. On iOS devices, this option can be located very quickly.
- Go to settings.
- From the list, select Control Center.
- Tap Customize controls.
- Look for the Screen Recording entry and tap the green plus icon next to it.
- Now swipe from the bottom or top of the screen (depending on the iOS model) to launch Control Center. Locate the recording icon and tap on it.
- Screen recording will start. To stop recording, tap the red bar at the top of the screen and tap Stop.
- The recording is saved on your phone.
Don’t worry, you can find software that will allow you to record your screen on any device that works with Zoom. Just google it.
There are three other important settings related to Zoom meeting recording. One deals with automatic recording and the other two with requesting consent for recording and playback notifications. Each of these three settings can be found in the Settings menu on the Recording (browser) tab. Turn on the switches next to each setting you want to turn on. Here’s more about each.
This setting can be very useful if you want to record all your videos. Conferences are a good example of a situation where you want to record every Zoom meeting. However, these recordings can take up a lot of space, which is not ideal, in the cloud or locally. Therefore, carefully consider which configuration works best for you.
This setup will essentially ask each participant for their consent to be recorded. If you think this is necessary for the group you’re meeting with, turn this setting on. However, this can become a major headache when the number of meeting attendees is large. It could slow things down considerably and complicate everything.
Multiple audio notifications of the recorded meeting
This setting will essentially tell participants when the meeting recording stops/starts, which is useful because it doesn’t interrupt the meeting. Also, if Recording Consent is off, it might be nice to let participants at least know when they’re being recorded, which is exactly what this setting does. Send everyone notifications about the recording.
1. Is there a place to easily view all my Zoom recordings?
As mentioned above, there are two ways to store Zoom recordings. If you are a paying user, you can store them on your computer or in the cloud. If you are not, you can only opt for the local option. Therefore, if you have recorded and stored your recordings locally, you can access them by navigating to the location selected by default.
However, if you have stored the recordings in the cloud, you will need to navigate to the Zoom web portal.
2. I forgot to record a Zoom meeting, is there a way to download it later?
The app doesn’t automatically record Zoom meetings unless you tell it to. Recording mode is activated manually if you have permission to do so. If you forgot to record a meeting, you won’t be able to get it after the fact. The only way to contact a Zoom meeting that you attended but were unable to record is to contact the participant who recorded it. They may send you the recording via email, social media, or any other regular way.
3. How do I get my Zoom recording back?
If you stored your recording locally and completely deleted it from your device, there is no known way to recover the recording. However, if you have stored it in the cloud and deleted it, you can recover it up to 30 days after deletion. To do this, go to the cloud recordings tab and select Thrash, located in the upper right corner. Find the recording you want to recover and select Recover. Now confirm. Once it’s done, it will go back to displaying the video normally as it did before.
Zoom meeting recording
Things are pretty straightforward with Zoom meeting recording. As long as you have the host’s consent and set things up correctly, you can start/pause/stop a meeting recording quickly and easily. Set everything up correctly and see if you want to use Zoom’s cloud space or store the recordings on your desktop.
Has this helped you better understand Zoom meeting recording options? Do you feel like we’ve covered everything here? Do you have something to add? If you do, please tell us in the comments below.