Now that a reasonable amount of time has passed since the closure of 2021 we can take stock of what this year has meant for the video game industry and, above all, what is what has sold the most over the last twelve months in countries like Spain or, in the case at hand, United Kingdom: in Games Industry collect a summary of the most successful of the year at a commercial level, both in reference to software like hardware of video games, highlighting that in total they have sold 35.8 million games physical and digital 3.36 million consoles and 10.6 million accessories.
With regard to video games, and despite the fact that it seems like a good figure in general terms, those almost 36 million units sold in total represent a drop compared to the previous year’s data, specifically 16% less than in 2020. Of all of them, around 32.4% were physical copies, while the rest were digital acquisitions (a figure that is not entirely accurate because companies like Nintendo or Bethesda do not share digital sales data). Electronic Arts was the company that sold the most digital games, while Nintendo is in first position in physical games.
Best-selling video games, consoles and accessories of 2021 in the UK
The best-selling video game of the year in the UK it was FIFA 22, which has managed to exceed the figures of the previous edition by 10.3%. In second position we find Call of Duty: Vanguard, which despite its good position on the list, has sold 36.1% less than the 2020 installment. In the ranking we find other usual commercial successes such as Grand Theft Auto V, Red Dead Redemption 2 The Mario Kart 8: Deluxe. It is also noteworthy that Pokémon Shiny Diamond / Shiny Pearl is among the best-selling games of the year, although in the complete list of combined sales (physical and digital), which you can see below, the sales of each edition appear separately:
- 1. FIFA 22 (EA)
- 2. Call of Duty: Vanguard (Activision Blizzard)
- 3. Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
- 4. FIFA 21 (EA)
- 5. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Activision Blizzard)
- 6. Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
- 7. Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Sony)
- 8. F1 2021 (EA / Codemasters)
- 9. Far Cry 6 (Ubisoft)
- 10. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
- 11. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)
- 12. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)
- 13. Resident Evil Village (Capcom)
- 14. Battlefield 2042 (EA)
- 15. Minecraft: Switch Edition (Nintendo/Mojang)
- 16. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (Nintendo)
- 17. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
- 18. Mortal Kombat 11 (Warner Bros.)
- 19. LEGO Harry Potter Collection (Warner Bros)
- 20. Pokmon Brilliant Diamond (Nintendo)
- 21. Minecraft (Single)
- 22. Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy (Square Enix)
- 23. Just Dance 2022 (Ubisoft)
- 24. NBA 2K21 (2K Games)
- 25. The Crew 2 (Ubisoft)
Talking about game consoles, the total number of units sold in the United Kingdom during 2021 was 14% higher compared to the previous year. The hardware best seller in these twelve months has been Nintendo Switch, which has managed to outperform PS5 in the last weeks of the year according to GfK data. Only during the months of November and December half a million hybrids were sold thanks to launches such as the OLED model. In any case, 2021 has been one of the best years of the Nintendo console in the British market. Xbox Series, for its part, has been the third best-selling family of consoles, with 57% of Series S sold above the Series X model.
With respect to accessories, which sold 6% less than the previous year, the most successful have been the PS5 DualSense in white and the Xbox controller in black. The best-selling Switch accessory has been the Pro Controller, which is in position number 14 on the complete list, while the best-selling headset has been the PS5 Pulse 3D.