Knowing how to recover deleted messages on iPhone can make all the difference if you accidentally delete an important message or just change your mind after deleting it.
Once you’ve deleted a message in iOS 15, there’s no immediate way to get it back. You can’t shake your device to undo your mistake, no matter how vigorously you try. You also can’t dig into the Settings app to get a “recover” option or find your texts waiting in a “hold folder” like you can with deleted photos.
Instead, you’ll have to go back in time to a point before the message is deleted. But this will depend on whether you’ve created a backup, either to a computer or, more conveniently, to iCloud.
Whether you have an iPhone 13 or any other iOS 15 device, here’s how to recover deleted messages on iPhone.
How to Recover Deleted Messages on iPhone: Backup Using iCloud
The first step to recovering deleted messages on iPhone is to back up your device using iCloud, which is something you should do regularly anyway. It could make all the difference in your chances of recovering a text, or any other piece of data, if you accidentally delete one in the future.
1. With your iPhone connected to a Wi-Fi network, launch the Settings app Y touch your name.
2. Now select iCloud from the list of options.
3. It’s worth making sure the toggle next to Messages is on. you should too tap about iCloud backup. You may find that this is already on, in which case automatic backups are already being created. If not, you can easily fix it.
4. make sure turn on iCloud backup. If you just turned it on, then tap Backup Now. You should also do this if it looks like your iPhone hasn’t done an automatic backup in a while. It will only do this when your iPhone is plugged in, locked, and connected to a Wi-Fi network.
How to Recover Deleted Messages on iPhone from iPhone Backup
If you deleted a text and want to recover it, you need to check when the last backups were made. This allows you to judge whether or not restoring a backup will make any difference. If the only available backup was made after you deleted a message, for example, you won’t be able to recover it.
1. With that in mind, launch the Settings app Y touch your name. Then play icloud.
2. Now tap Manage storage (If iCloud Backup is not activated, then your chances of successfully recovering texts will be much less.)
3. On the iCloud storage screen, tap Backups and then select a backup that you think will contain the message you want to retrieve.
4. You will see information about the backup; the most important is when it was last performed. If it looks like it will contain the deleted message, then it’s time to try to recover it.
5. Go back to the main Settings screen and touch General. Then scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap Transfer or Reset iPhone.
6. Now, you need to clean your iPhone effectively, which means you need to tap Erase all content and settings.
7. Your iPhone will shut down and restart. When it comes back to life, go through the setup process and when you get to the Apps & Data screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup. Choose the backup that you identified earlier in the process. All your backed up data will now be restored.
How to Recover Deleted Messages on iPhone from Computer Backup
It’s possible to back up an iPhone to a computer using iTunes on a PC or Finder on a Mac. connect your iPhone to the USB port of the computer Y select your device.
You’ll then be prompted to back up, and the data will be stored on your computer instead of iCloud. On a Mac, for example, just click Back up all your iPhone data to this Mac then click Backup Now to start the process.
On Windows, you would need start itunes Y click Summary On the left side. Then under Backups select this computer then click Copy now.
Now that you know how to restore deleted messages on iPhone, take a look at how to reset a locked iPhone without a computer or how you can launch apps by touching the back of your iPhone. And if a child in your care uses an iOS device, you might want to see how to use the new child safety features in iOS 15.2.