Microsoft recently made it possible to play Xbox games on your Windows PC. To play your favorite Xbox One game on PC, you will need the help of the reliable Xbox app. You can play all the games if you connect the two devices to a network.
If you have an Xbox Live account, you can also play select titles on PC without the console. There is also a way to play Xbox One games on PC even without the Xbox app.
Microsoft also allows you to sync your Xbox One console and Windows PC to play your favorite games on the computer. The setup process takes a few minutes and is easy to repeat after you’ve done it once. Let’s delve into.
There are a number of requirements that you need to meet in order to play Xbox One games on your PC. They include the following:
- Enable streaming in console settings.
- Sign in to the Xbox app on your PC. Make sure the Gamertag is the same as the one on the console.
- The two devices must be registered on the same network. Wired Ethernet networks work best. A 5 GHz Wi-Fi network is the next best solution.
- Your PC will need a minimum of 2 GB of RAM and a processor running at 1.5 GHz or faster.
- The console must be on during the entire process.
Prepare the console
First, we will enable the connection in the console. With your Xbox turned on, follow these steps:
- Press the middle button on your controller, the Xbox button.
- When the Guide opens, go to Settings.
- Then go to Preferences.
- After that, open Xbox app connections.
- Go to This Xbox and look for the Allow game streaming to other devices options. Allow him.
- Go to Other devices. There, enable the Allow connections from any device option. Activating the option labeled Only from profiles registered on this Xbox will also work.
Just click the Console icon on the left hand side, then click ‘Activate’.
If your console doesn’t show up, follow the instructions below to connect your Xbox to your PC.
Connecting your controller is simple. Just follow these steps:
- Connect a micro USB cable to the computer. Make sure it’s a data transfer cable.
- Connect the other end of the cable to your controller.
- Click on the Windows icon in the lower left corner of the screen.
- Click the Settings icon.
- Click Devices.
- Select the Bluetooth and other devices tab on the left.
- If all is well, you should see the Controller icon in the Other Devices section.
If this method causes you problems, try a different cable. Some USB cables are for charging only and cannot transfer data. A cable that has the ability to transfer information is required here.
Connect PC and Console
So far, it may seem like a lot of steps, but it’s actually very simple. Let’s move on to connecting your devices.
Open the Xbox Companion app on your PC.
When the application starts, click the Connect tab in the panel on the left side of the window.
The app will then scan the network for available consoles. Choose the one you would like to connect. If you have multiple consoles, it might be a good idea to give them different names, since all Xbox One consoles are named My Xbox by default.
When the connection process is complete, you’ll see options for media, power, and streaming remotes. You’ll also see your console listed, as well as the controller. You can now control your Xbox One console remotely through the PC app.
Next, click the Stream button to start streaming.
After that, browse through the list of games and select the one you would like to play.
Click the Play from Console button in the top right corner of the game page within the app. This will launch the game on the console and start streaming it to your PC.
Alter streaming quality
The Xbox app on your PC also allows you to change the video settings for your streams. This way you can lower them if you are on a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network or increase them if you have an Ethernet network set up. Of course, you must take into account the capabilities of your computer. Here is how to do it:
- Connect your PC and Xbox One console as described in the previous sections.
- Start the Xbox app.
- Click on the Settings tab in the left side menu.
- Ve al submenú Game Streaming.
- Open the Video Encoding Level section. There are three options: low, medium and high. The low setting is available for 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi networks, the medium setting is for setups with 5 GHz networks, while the high setting is reserved for wired Ethernet networks.
Xbox Play Anywhere
Microsoft allows PC and Xbox (not just Xbox One) owners to play select games on both platforms without connecting to a network. In order to do this, you must have Windows 10 Anniversary edition installed on your computer. In addition, you will need to have an active Xbox Live account.
Here’s how to play games with Xbox Play Anywhere:
- Purchase a game (must be a digital title) from the Windows Store or Xbox Store.
- Start your PC.
- Connect your controller as described above.
- Start the Xbox app.
- Find your recently purchased game in the app.
- Start the game.
Unfortunately, the list of games is quite limited, so you will only have the option to play approved titles.
Read raw data
Microsoft has already made it possible to connect your Xbox One console and controller to your PC and enjoy your favorite games on a computer. Progress is in sync and the app is very smooth. But what do you do if you sold or gave away your Xbox One console and have some game DVDs laying around? You can still play your favorite childhood games on a PC. Here’s how to get them running on a PC:
- Start your PC.
- When it starts, insert the game disc into the DVD drive.
- Double-click the This PC shortcut on the desktop.
- Right-click on the drive where the game disc is located.
- Select the Properties option from the dropdown menu.
- Next, click on the Hardware tab.
- Scroll down the list and click on the drive.
- Click the Properties button.
- Once the Drive Properties window opens, click the Details tab.
- Select Capabilities from the dropdown menu.
- Click the CM_DEVCAP_RAWDEVICEOK option.
- Click OK.
- Click OK one more time.
- Go to This PC and double click on the game.
This method allows the PC to read the raw data it finds on the disk. It will bypass the security features of the game disc without damaging it or rendering it unusable in the console.
Depending on how familiar you are with the technology, you may still have questions. Don’t worry, we’ve covered your most frequently asked questions in this section.
Why can’t I connect my devices?
Both your PC and Xbox One need to be updated. Seriously, even if you updated yesterday, please check again. Also, both devices must be on the same Wi-Fi network (for example, you may have multiple bands, make sure they are on the same one).
Can I stream it to my phone?
Theoretically yes. There are several factors that come into play here, but if you want to play your Xbox One games on your phone, you should be able to download the u003ca href=u0022https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft .xcloudu0022u003eXbox Connect appu003c/au003e. Assuming wifi and update criteria are met, you can play on Android devices.
Playing Xbox One games on a powerful gaming PC can greatly enhance your gaming experience, so give your old favorites a try on your PC.
Do you use the Xbox app to stream your Xbox One games? Does it improve the experience? What do you think about the Xbox Play Anywhere platform? Be sure to share your thoughts with us in the comments below.