343 Industries has announced that servers of the saga games Halo for Xbox 360 they will close the January 13th of 2022, as announced at the end of 2020. Part of the online functions of games such as Halo 3, Halo 4 Y Halo: Reach, as is the case of matchmaking and file sharing will no longer be available. The decision does not affect the compilation Halo: The Master Chief Collection for Xbox One and PC, nor to Halo Wars: Definitive Edition for those same systems.
The termination of the servers affect each game differently, although in general almost everyone loses the matchmaking. These are the functions that will no longer be available in each title (which in turn affect achievements that can be obtained in them):
- Halo Reach: Matchmaking, File sharing, Game log, Challenges, Player customization, Message of the day.
- Halo 4: Matchmaking, File sharing, Game log, Challenges, Player customization.
- Halo 3: Matchmaking, File sharing.
- Halo 3 ODST: Matchmaking, File sharing, Extras.
The characteristics that will remain available in each game they are:
- Halo Reach: Campaign, Firefight, Custom Matches, Forge, Split Screen, LAN, Online Squads.
- Halo 4: Campaign, Spartan Ops, Forge, Split screen, LAN, Squads online.
- Halo 3: Campaign, Custom games, Forge, Split screen, Online squads, Game log, Player customization.
- Halo 3 ODST: Campaign, Firefight, Split Screen, LAN, Online Squads, Game Log, Player Customization.
- Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary: Campaa, Pantalla partida, LAN.
- Halo Spartan Assault: Campaign, Squads online, Matchmaking.
- Halo Wars: Campaign, Squads online, Matchmaking.
They shut down servers to focus on the future
When they announced the server shutdown in December two years ago, they said keeping the Xbox 360 game servers open takes a lot of resources and attention, and argued that it was the best to focus on the future of the saga, which goes through Halo Infinite, the installment released on December 8 for Xbox Series, Xbox One and PC whose campaign has been as praised as online multiplayer free to play.