Hearthstone is one of the most popular online card games, with millions of players testing their strategy and skill in various game modes. However, there is something better than playing against strangers online. You may not know it, but Hearthstone also allows you to challenge your friends in duels or participate in groups of battlegrounds that everyone can enjoy together. With so many options available, it’s no wonder Hearthstone has grown in popularity in recent years.
In this article, we’ll explain how you can start a Hearthstone game against a friend or have a party in Battlegrounds mode.
How to play against friends in Hearthstone
Hearthstone has a few different game modes where you can invite your friends to join you in a duel: standard, wild, and the tavern brawl. The first two are available year-round, but Tavern Brawls is changing game modes with a limited duration. Initially, Brawls were limited to three days a week, but they have grown to become a staple, with a new game mode every Wednesday lasting a full week at a time.
Inviting a friend to play against you is easy. This is what you should do:
- Abre Hearthstone.
- Open the “Social” tab at the bottom left. On mobile devices, the button is in the upper left. It is indicated by a portrait with a number next to it. The number indicates how many of your Battle.net friends are currently online.
- Choose the friend you want to play with from the list.
- Click (or tap) the button to the right of their name. The icon will look like two swords clashing.
- You can select from the currently available game modes: Standard, Wild, and Tavern Brawl (if any are in progress).
- Your friend will receive a notification announcing your challenge. They can accept or reject it.
- When your friend accepts the Duel invitation, both of you will be taken to the deck selection screen. If you were in the process of editing the deck, your changes will be saved.
- You can only select a deck that is legal in the format. In Tavern Brawls, the deck selection may not exist at all, depending on the event, or you will have to build a different one on the spot.
- Once both players select their decks, the duel can begin!
Friendly duels have no turn limit. You can take this opportunity to practice a newly built deck or teach someone how to play the game without running out of time.
Even if you know the person you are playing against, they are free to choose their deck at the beginning of each challenge. When both players know each other’s strategy, Duels can turn into a tricky game of rock-paper-scissors if they both decide to play decks that have an advantage over their opponents. Duels can have a higher strategic element compared to playing on the ladder against strangers.
Note that you can finish some daily missions through Duels, and some missions specifically reward playing one. However, you will not earn ladder ranks for winning a friendly game, no matter how competitive your game is.
How to Play Against Friends on Hearthstone Battlegrounds
Hearthstone Battlegrounds has become one of the most popular ways to play Hearthstone. Its fame is due, at least in part, to similar game modes that exist in other games, such as DOTA2 (where it was known as AutoChess). An additional factor that greatly improves player enjoyment compared to normal card modes is the lack of deck building requirements. Unlike other modes, you don’t have to spend time (and money) building a top-tier deck. Battlegrounds puts all players on an equal footing.
Not surprisingly, this made the mode even more attractive for gamers who want to enjoy matches with their friends online. In 2020, Blizzard updated Battlegrounds to allow players to join together in a party.
This is what you should do:
- Open the Hearthstone social panel (click on the “Friends” icon at the bottom).
- Select the friend from the list you want to invite, then click the “invite” icon to the right of their name.
- From the menu, select the icon that corresponds to Battlegrounds.
- You can repeat this process for up to seven friends.
- Each player will receive an invitation to join their Battlegrounds party. Once one of them agrees, all players will join the Battlegrounds group screen.
- If you’re in a Battlegrounds party, the invite button in the friends list automatically invites them to the party without giving you the option to choose other game modes. If you are the party leader, you can remove players from the party by clicking the “kick” button in the friends list next to their name (replaces the invite button).
- Groups of up to four players can queue up and play on the Ranked Battlegrounds ladder, moving them up the ladder, depending on their performance.
- Once your party reaches five or more players, the game will become a custom match and you will not play with any external players. Note that this allows you to play a Stranger People Battlegrounds game, which may not lead to optimal gameplay due to the inherent mechanics of the game.
- Once everyone has joined the Battlegrounds group, press “Play” to start the game.
- If you die during a Battlegrounds party game, you will return to the party screen. From there, you can click the “eye” icon next to a group member’s name to act as a spectator.
- In a strange character game, a player will fight Kel’Thuzad, an NPC hero, who copies the last board of the person most recently removed from the game. At the start of the game, Kel’Thuzad starts with the weakest band available. It can still damage a player and can pose a threat later in the game.
Can you play Hearthstone Battlegrounds with a friend?
Playing as a group in ranked Battlegrounds mode can generate game patterns that give party players an inherent advantage over solo players in the same match:
- If the group members communicate during the match, they can access all the information about the current board statuses and better predict the available group of minions.
- Group members can band together and mitigate health loss by fighting each other.
- More players can join the leading player, giving them a better chance of victory once players start to be eliminated from the game.
- According to official statistics, more than 75% of Battlegrounds ranked games are played solo, but groups can have up to 4.5% higher win rate (based on number of players) than average players.
How do you recruit friends in Hearthstone?
To make it easier for more people to join Hearthstone, Blizzard has implemented a recruiting system that benefits both the recruiter and the players who successfully invite into the game.
This is how you recruit a friend:
• Open the “Social” tab, then click the “Recruit” button at the bottom. The icon represents a handshake.
• The Recruitment menu will open. Click the “Recruit Friends” button.
• The link will be copied to your clipboard and will match your current region.
• Alternatively, you can use the official Web site which lists your recruiting link. You can change the link to request other regions, but you will not be able to play them if you are in a different region. You will continue to receive the recruitment bonus.
• You can send the link to your friends through any means you want (we recommend social networks and emails).
• Once your friend clicks the link, their browser will open a registration page to begin their Hearthstone journey.
• When the friend logs into the game for the first time, they will receive a classic package.
Here are some additional benefits and notes on the recruiting model and what it offers.
• You will get a small bonus for the first five players you recruit into the game. The first is an alternate shaman hero; Morgl the Oracle, while the other four rewards are a Classic pack each.
• Since you don’t make any profit after the fifth referral, it may be more beneficial for your other friends to recruit additional group members.
• You can recruit a player who is already playing Hearthstone but is below level 20. They will both receive corresponding rewards.
Your recruitment menu will display the top five recruits, listing their total level.
Why can’t I play with my friend in Hearthstone?
If you can’t duel or battlefield with a friend, there are a few possible solutions:
• Make sure all players have the latest game update – Mobile players often need to manually install the latest Hearthstone patch, while PC players download the update automatically when they launch the Battle.net application.
• Wait for mobile to update: mobile patches are sent to live servers several hours, or even a whole day after updates to PC. During this time, players cannot play if they have a different version of the game. Mobile players who are still playing the previous version can play with other mobile users who have the same version of the game.
• Set Profile Status to Online: The Battle.net application can sometimes put your profile status to “Away” or “Offline”, preventing you from receiving invitations to games or parties. If you can invite other players, but they can’t invite you back, check your Battle.net app and make changes if necessary.
• Wait for a game to finish: You cannot invite players while they are in the middle of a game. If the problem persists after all players have finished their games, restart the game.
Hearthstone with friends
Hearthstone is a great way to spend some free time and train your strategic mind for new challenges. Playing with friends puts a new spin on the game, giving everyone in the party additional benefits and a better gaming experience. When you play with friends, the fun never ends!
What game modes do you play with friends in Hearthstone? Let us know in the comment section below.