Week after week we have seen in the Japanese sales charts how the ranking of best-selling video games was almost totally dominated by Nintendo Switch while in hardware it was always a winner, partly due to the lack of supply of the last generation consoles. Annual hardware sales data shared by Famitsu and disseminated by GamesIndustry put the situation in perspective: the hybrid console has sold five times more than the rest of the machines in the market together.
Between December 28, 2020 and December 19 of 2021, Switch has placed 5.3 million of consoles in the hands of Japanese gamers adding the standard edition, the OLED model released in October and the portable only version, Switch Lite. In 2020, 5.1 million Switches were sold. The rest of consoles (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X / S and Nintendo 3DS) add 1.1 million units.
PlayStation 5 It was the second best-selling console in the Japanese region, approaching one million units with 942,798 mquinas (In 2020 it placed 213,328 million, so it has exceeded one million in total). Follow him PlayStation 4, where most of the new releases continue to appear, with 103,786 consoles. The family of consoles Xbox Series He has placed 95,598 units, ten times less than PS5 (29,433 Xbox Series were sold in 2020). Nintendo 3DS has sold (the 2DS XL model is still in stores), 28,224 units.
The best-selling games of the year are also from Switch
The ten games in physical format The best sellers in Japan during 2021 (from December 28, 2020 to December 5 of last year) are from Switch. Eight of them are edited by Nintendo. Three of them are titles published in 2021: Monster Hunter Rise (the most sold), Pokémon Shiny Diamond / Shimmering Pearl (in second position) and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (in fourth place). The list of the top ten best-selling games in Japan in 2021 is:
- 1. Monster Hunter Rise (Capcom)
- 2. Pokémon Shiny Diamond / Shimmering Pearl (Nintendo / The Pokémon Company)
- 3. Momotaru Dentetsu: Showa Heisei Reiwa mo Teiban! (Konami)
- 4. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (Nintendo)
- 5. Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo)
- 6. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo)
- 7. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)
- 8. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Nintendo)
- 9. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo)
- 10. Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo)