YouTube offers a wide range of easy-to-use features that allow you to take charge of your viewing experience. Restricted mode is one of those settings. Once enabled, it prevents potentially inappropriate content from appearing on your home page.
However, if you find the function too restricting, you can disable it in a few easy steps. In this article, we will show you how to disable restricted mode while browsing YouTube on different devices and explain how the settings work.
How to disable restricted mode while browsing YouTube?
Restricted mode is an optional setting that removes adult or inappropriate content from your YouTube home page. Once you turn it on, you will not have access to any videos that conflict with the YouTube Community Guidelines.
The processes for activating or deactivating restricted mode are practically identical. In both cases, you must do it manually through your account settings. Here’s how to disable restricted mode while browsing YouTube:
- Open your browser and go to youtube.com.
- Click on your profile photo in the upper right corner to open a drop-down menu.
- At the bottom of the list, look for the “Restricted Mode” switch. If enabled, the text will appear in blue. Click on it to disable it.
Once you have successfully disabled restricted mode, the text will turn gray. Now you can watch any YouTube video, regardless of the nature of its content.
Restricted mode can only work locally. This means that you have to manually turn it off for each device or browser individually. If you want to disable restricted mode on your phone, you have to use YouTube app. Here’s how to do it:
- Click on the YouTube icon to open the application.
- In the upper right corner, tap your profile picture.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Scroll down and select “Settings” from the list of options.
- Open the “General” settings section.
- Touch the lever next to “Restricted Mode” to turn it off.
How do I deactivate my YouTube application?
Most of the Google applications are already installed on devices with Android operating system and YouTube (which is owned by Google) is included. However, that does not mean that you cannot change the application settings. In most cases, you can disable and uninstall YouTube in a few simple steps.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Open your “Settings” application.
2. Open the “Applications” section, then select the “Manage Applications” option.
3. A list of applications will appear at the bottom of the screen. Scroll until you find YouTube, then touch to open it. You can also use the search dialog.
4. Below the application icon, tap the “Disable” button.
Please note that Android devices running on MIUI do not allow you to disable pre-installed apps. Instead, you can use the “Force stop” function.
If you want to remove the app entirely, there are two ways to do it.
Here’s how to uninstall the YouTube app through Settings:
1. Go to Settings> Applications.
2. Open the “Manage applications” section.
3. Find the YouTube application and click on it.
4. Select the “Uninstall” button. Confirm with “OK”.
The other way to uninstall YouTube is by using the Google Play Store application. That’s how:
1. Open the Google Play Store application.
2. In the upper left corner of the screen, click the three horizontal lines. Select the “My Apps and Games” tab from the drop-down menu.
3. Tap on the “Installed” section. All of your previously installed apps will appear in the list below. Scroll down to find YouTube. Applications are usually listed in alphabetical order.
4. Touch to open YouTube. Below the application name, click the “Uninstall” button. A small pop-up window will appear asking you to confirm. Press “Uninstall” to complete the process.
If you are an iOS user, just long-press on the YouTube icon and then tap to “Disable”.
What is “restricted mode” on YouTube?
In 2010, YouTube added restricted mode to its list of built-in features. The optional settings are designed to give audiences more control over their viewing experience. Once enabled, it will remove any adult content from your YouTube home page.
So what constitutes a restricted video? The YouTube algorithm uses a variety of signals to filter content. This includes analyzing the description, title, metadata, and age limits of the video. If a video is recognized as mature or potentially inappropriate, viewers with restricted mode turned on will not be able to view it.
When a video conflicts with the YouTube Community Guidelines, it is restricted to certain audiences. The following list explains what is recognized as adult content:
• Drug and alcohol abuse. Conversations about drug and alcohol abuse are also considered adult content.
• Participate in sexual activities or describe graphic sexual situations. If the video is educational in nature, restricted mode might allow it. This mainly refers to discussions about sexuality and sex education. Kisses and other forms of non-sexual affection are not considered adult content.
• Act out natural disasters and tragedies (for example, earthquakes, floods, volcanic eruptions).
• Represent graphic acts of violence, even if it is part of a news report.
• Talk about openly mature topics. This includes mentions of a war, crime, terrorist acts, political conflicts that ended in violence (eg murder). These videos do not have to contain any images to be recognized as mature.
• Use inflammatory and degrading language. This refers to anything that can be construed as inflammatory or degrading towards a certain group or individual (eg racial slurs).
• Use profane and mature language. This includes swearing and any other form of offensive expression.
Of course, interpretation of the Community Guidelines depends on cultural standards and sensitivities. For example, the same video can be allowed in one country and restricted in another.
Also, an age restriction does not replace restricted mode. A video can be allowed for audiences of all ages and can still be banned if the setting is enabled.
How do I disable restricted mode on YouTube on iPhone?
Although YouTube is no longer a built-in app on iOS devices, restricted mode is still available. You can turn it on or off just like you would on your computer. Here’s how to disable YouTube restricted mode on iPhone:
1. Open your YouTube app and click on your profile icon.
2. Select “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
3. Scroll down to find the “Restricted Mode Filtering” tab. Touch to open.
4. To disable restricted mode, select the “Do not filter” option.
How to enable incognito mode on YouTube?
Incognito mode allows you to browse YouTube without making changes to your search or watch history. To enable incognito mode, you need to update your YouTube app to get the latest version. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open your Google Play Store application and type “youtube” in the search dialog.
2. Select YouTube from the search results.
3. Touch the “Update” button below the application name.
Once you have downloaded the updated version, you can now enable incognito mode on your mobile app. Here’s how to do it:
1. Touch the YouTube icon to open the application.
2. Click on your profile icon to access the drop-down menu.
3. Select “Enable Incognito” from the list of options.
Incognito mode will automatically turn off after 90 minutes of inactivity.
As of now, incognito mode is only available for Android devices. If you want to browse YouTube in incognito mode on your computer, you can pause the watch history. That’s how:
1. Open your browser and visit youtube.com.
2. Click on the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner.
3. Select “History” from the drop-down menu.
4. Click the little pause icon next to “Pause watch history.”
Videos you watch after pausing your watch history will not appear in your account log.
Why is my YouTube in restricted mode?
Restricted mode is usually off by default. If you want to turn it on, you have to do it manually. But what if the setting is already enabled on a particular device or browser? Here is a list of possible causes:
· Network restrictions. If your device is connected to a public network, restricted mode will likely be enabled automatically. You can try to shut it down manually. If that doesn’t work, switch to a different network.
· Parental control. Apps like Family bond Allow parents to change their child’s YouTube account settings. If the child is using a device that is linked to the app, you cannot disable restricted mode. Only parents can do this through their Family Link account.
· Account restriction. If you are using a school account, your system administrator may have enabled restriction mode. It is a common practice in public institutions. Unfortunately, that means you can’t turn it off yourself.
· Cache accumulation. Sometimes an excess of junk files can cause changes to your account settings. Clear your browser or application cache and reset the settings.
· Application failures. Like most applications, YouTube is not immune to glitches and bugs. This is most common for the YouTube mobile app. You can try uninstalling and then reinstalling to fix the problem.
Why can’t I turn off restricted mode?
Public institutions such as universities, libraries and archives almost always use restricted mode on their institutional devices. As a guest user, you cannot enable or disable it. Only the system administrator has the authority to disable restricted mode.
If you are unable to disable restricted mode on your personal device, it is probably due to third-party interference. For example, someone in your household may have used an application to change your account settings without your knowledge.
Learn to free yourself
Restricted mode is a nifty tool for filtering YouTube content. It can be activated and deactivated with a few clicks.
However, there are certain situations when you cannot turn it off manually. Places like public libraries, schools, and universities have strict network and account restrictions for their public devices.
Do you use restricted mode on your YouTube account? What do you think about the YouTube Community Guidelines? Comment below and let us know what kind of videos you like to watch.