Hidden in the latest iOS 15 update are background sounds. Combined with Focus and Trends in Apple’s range of health and wellness features, this nifty feature is the perfect solution for those days when you need some background noise to focus or relax.
Background Noise offers six different options for ambient noise, from classics like rain or ocean sounds to several different shades of white noise. There’s even an option to play background noise while streaming music, podcasts, or videos. Want to add soothing rain sounds to your favorite easy-to-listen playlist? Background sounds makes it possible in seconds.
In our often overwhelming world, being able to focus or tune out can be a surprisingly difficult task, but the use of calming background noise has been shown to reduce stress and even increase concentration. Here’s how to turn on background sounds in iOS 15.
How to activate background sounds in iOS 15
1. Open Settings on your iOS 15 device.
2. From the Settings menu, scroll down and tap Accessibility
3. Swipe down and select Audio / Visual from the Accessibility menu
4. From the Audio / Visual menu click Background Sounds
5. Enable background sounds using the slider at the top of the screen.
6. Use the Sound tab to select different background noise options. You can also select the volume level of your chosen surround sound, as well as its volume when playing along with other media using the sliders below.
7. (Optional) If you want quick access to background sounds, you can add the Hearing function to your Control Center. Just navigate to the Control Center menu via Settings and add it from here.