GIFs (short for Graphical Interchange Format) are files used for sharing lightweight video. Although GIFs have been around for decades, they have made a big comeback thanks to social media, particularly Instagram. The Instagram Stories feature has become GIF’s new home as they are fun, lightweight, and easy to use.
However, using GIFs outside of the typical ‘Facebook Messenger’ and ‘Instagram Stories’ environments is a completely different scenario. Gfycat is one of the most popular GIF services that allows you to search for cool GIFs and even upload, create, and share your files.
Video vs GIF
In the age of streaming services, people are not used to having the option to download a video file directly unless they use YouTube Premium and Disney +, for example, which offer the download feature. In addition to specific streaming services, a third-party video downloader is generally required, or you can’t save any video. Gfycat not only allows you to download any video you want; It also does it with three easy clicks or literally, as you would save an image:the right button of the mouse -> Save video as -> Save money.
Although third-party video downloaders successfully save desired media on your PC and allow you to play it with your preferred media player, GIFs are much more convenient ways for short videos. For one thing, GIFs are much smaller, which means it won’t take long to load, very suitable for sharing via chat. Also, GIF files work in MS Word documents (it only shows still images), just like photos. It’s that easy. When it comes to short videos, GIFs take the cake.
Gfycat GIF Download
Although you can technically download a video from Gfycat and use a third-party program to convert it to GIF, you can directly download a short video as GIF from the site. Gfycat is primarily designed for GIFs, but the video file download process is pretty straightforward.
GIF download directly from Gfycat
- Open the video you want to download as a GIF file.
- Navigate to the panel at the bottom right of the screen. Click on the “More options to share” icon, which is the last one on the far right.
- The screen that now appears above the video presents more sharing options. Click on “GIFS” at the bottom of the video frame.
- Choose “Little Gif …” to share multimedia content from your device or “Big gif…” to save a higher quality animated GIF image to use and watch on your PC or for other similar uses.
- Paste the copied link into a new browser tab and press “Get into” to load the URL of the animated image.
- Right click on the image and select “Save Image As…” to download it to your device.
- You can now view or share the animated GIF you downloaded by uploading it to your chosen source or opening it on your device.
Download Gfycat GIFs by sharing them on social media
In addition to directly downloading the media as an animated GIF image, you can also share it as an animated GIF on Facebook, Instagram, and more. Here’s how to do it.
- Open the video you want to share on social media as an animated GIF.
- On the right side of the screen, choose your social sharing option, such as “Facebook”, “Twitter”, “Copy”, “Insert” etc.
- A new framed window appears. For social networks, follow the instructions (login, share button, etc.) on the screen to share the content. For “Embed,” just paste the code into your website’s HTML. For “Dupdo,” paste the GIF link into your desired app.
- Your social media share, HTML embedding process or copy / paste process now displays the animated GIF wherever you put it.
With so many GIF websites, you really have a lot of options. If you are looking for a GIF file that is less than 2MB in size, Gfycat is the right place to go. Also, most GIF websites don’t feature short video files, which is another thing Gfycat excels at.