The iPad Dock gives you quick access to your recent and frequently used apps and allows you to easily switch between them. Together, the latest versions of iOS for iPad allow you to add more apps to your Dock than ever before.
If you’re using the latest version of iOS, just drag the app you want to add from your Home screen to the Dock, the other icons will leave room for it to settle.
For older versions of iOS, touch and hold the application icon, then click the “Edit Home Screen” option in the menu that appears. All applications will start to move. Drag the application to the Dock, where, again, space will be made for it.
How to open the Dock on an iPad
You can see the Dock by slowly sliding the screen up from the bottom edge until it appears. Lift your finger once it shows up. Try not to slide your finger up too far, or “App Switcher” may start. And if you swipe too fast, you will return to the home screen.
How to add apps to the Dock
For recent versions of iOS for iPad:
- Place your finger on the application that you want to move to your Dock.
- Drag it to the dock. The Dock will make room for the application.
For older versions of iOS for iPad:
- From the home screen, navigate to the icon page that contains the application you want to add to your Dock.
- Press and hold any app icon until a small menu appears.
- Click “Edit Home Screen.”
- The apps will start to move and some will show an “X” in the upper left corner. This confirms that you are in edit mode.
- Choose the application you want to add, then drag it to the Dock. The Dock will make room for the new application.
How to move apps along the dock
- From the Dock, tap the icon of the application you want to move.
- Hold it down and drag it to the new position on your Dock, then release it.
Manage the section of recently used applications
To disable or re-enable recently used apps on your iPad dock:
- Launch the “Settings” application.
- Navigate to the “Docking and Home Screen” option.
- Go to the option “Show suggested and recent apps”.
- On the right, tap the toggle slider to disable or re-enable it.
When the feature is disabled, the apps that appear on your dock will be only the ones you’ve placed there.
How do I remove apps from the base of the iPad?
To remove an application from your Dock:
• Drag the icon you want to remove to the home screen. Release it and it will disappear.
How do I show the dock while in an app?
To display your Dock while using an application:
· From the bottom of the screen, slide your finger up until the dock appears, then release.
· If you are using an external keyboard, press the Command (⌘) key together with the Option key and “D”.
Your favorite apps at the base of your iPad
The iPad Dock is a space for your frequently used applications, designed to avoid having to flick through the pages of the home screen to find them. It’s also great for multitasking when switching between apps, turning your iPad into a mini laptop. Apple had made the process of adding, removing, and rearranging Dock apps quick and easy.
Now that we’ve shown you how to add apps to your Dock and how to use some of the other multitasking features, what are some of the apps that you enjoy using frequently? Did you end up moving a lot of apps to your Dock? Let us know in the comment section.