Sony does not support VPN apps on its platform, so you cannot download a VPN app from the PlayStation Store to set up a connection. However, the good news is that there are a couple of simple ways around this. Today we will walk you through those solutions.
In this article, we will show you the easiest ways to set up a VPN on a Playstation 4.
Set up a VPN through your Wi-Fi router
The easiest way to use a VPN with your PS4 is through your router. By setting up a VPN on your router, all traffic that flows through your router (including traffic from your PS4) will be automatically encrypted.
VPN connections are compatible with most modern routers. You simply have to enter your account details in the router settings. The exact steps depend on the manufacturer of the router, but essentially the process will look something like this:
- Go to ExpressVPN to set up a VPN account and subscription.
- Log in to your router and find the settings menu.
- Locate the VPN page where you will need to enter the following details provided during your ExpressVPN account setup:
- The name of the service
- Server address
- Your account name / email address and password
- A pre-shared key for encryption
Now when you connect your PS4 to the internet, it will use the VPN connection. This new connection works for all your connecting devices.
Set up a VPN through your computer
If your router doesn’t allow VPN connections, this is the option for you. It is also best to use this method if you prefer not to have all your devices use the VPN. With these steps, you would essentially turn your computer into a virtual router.
However, before you begin, you will need a computer with Internet access and an additional Ethernet cable to connect to your console.
It may seem a bit complicated, but it is relatively simple. Here’s how to set this up through Windows:
- Visit ExpressVPN to set up a VPN account and subscription.
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app.
- Launch the application and click “Register”.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to register and log in.
- Choose a subscription plan, choose the country for your connection and press the Power button to connect.
- Connect your Ethernet cable to your computer and your PS4.
- Go to “Control Panel,” “Network and Internet,” then “Network and Sharing Center.”
- On the left, click “Change adapter settings.”
- On your VPN connection, right-click and select “Properties.”
- On the “Sharing” tab, make sure that the option “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” is selected.
- Select “Home Network Connection”, then from the drop-down menu, then choose your Internet connection. This should be a “Wi-Fi” connection if your computer has an Ethernet port.
- Now on your PS4, select “Settings”, “Network settings”, “Set up Internet connection”.
- Choose “Use a LAN cable”, then select the “Easy connection” method.
- When prompted, select “Bypass proxy server”.
- If you want, you can now test your internet connection to confirm that your PS4 is connected to the internet through your VPN.
Follow the same steps to use a VPN through macOS:
- Plug your Ethernet cable into the back of your PS4 and your Mac.
- Go to “System Preferences”, “Sharing” and choose “Internet Sharing”.
- In the “Share your connection from” drop-down menu, select “Wi-Fi.”
- Make sure the “Ethernet” option is checked through the “To computers they use” list.
- Check the box to the left of “Internet Sharing.”
- In your browser, visit the ExpressVPN website to set up a VPN account and subscription.
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app.
- Open the application and select “Register”.
- Follow the prompts to register and log in.
- Select a subscription plan. Choose the location you would like to connect to and press the Power button to connect.
- Test your internet connection to confirm that your PS4 has successfully connected to the internet through ExpressVPN.
How to use a VPN on a PS4 with a Windows PC
To use a VPN on your PS4 through a Windows PC, you can set up a virtual access point on your computer and connect to it. Essentially, your computer will share the VPN connection with your PS4.
You will need an Ethernet cable and your computer needs an Ethernet port and a Wi-Fi card to make all the connections. This method is not as technical as it may sound. Here’s how to quickly set it up:
- Connect your PS4 console and your computer using an Ethernet cable.
- Go to “Control Panel”, “Network and Sharing Center”, then choose “Change adapter settings”.
- Right-click on your VPN, then select “Properties.”
- Under “Sharing”, make sure that the option “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” is selected.
- Download and install ExpressVPN.
- Click “Register”, then follow the instructions to set up a subscription.
- Choose the country and press the Power button to connect.
- From your PS4, test your Internet connection to confirm that you have successfully connected through your ExpressVPN account.
How to use a VPN on a PS4 with a Mac
To use a VPN on your console with your macOS, you can configure a virtual router. This method will share your computer’s VPN connection with your PS4 console.
To set this up, you will need an Ethernet cable and your Mac needs an Ethernet port and a Wi-Fi card to make all the connections. Here’s how to set it up:
- Download and install the ExpressVPN application on your Mac.
- Click on “Login” to create an account and choose your subscription.
- Connect your Mac and PS4 using an Ethernet cable.
- Go to “System Preferences”, “Sharing”, then, in the list on the left, select “Internet Sharing”.
- Select “Wi-Fi” from the “Share your connection” drop-down menu.
- Make sure “Ethernet” is checked through the “To computers they use” list.
- To the left of “Internet Sharing”, check the box to enable shared Internet connection. If prompted, confirm your choice. A green icon will appear if successful.
- Open the ExpressVPN app to connect to a server in your chosen country.
- On your PS4, navigate to “Settings,” “Network Settings,” then “Set Up Internet Connection.”
- Select “Use a LAN cable”, then “Easy connection method”.
- When prompted, click “Do not use a proxy server”.
- Test your PS4 internet connection to confirm that you are connected to the internet through your ExpressVPN account.
Will my ping be affected when using a VPN?
Your ping will not be affected by the use of VPN. One of the purposes of a VPN in games is to reduce lag by offering fast connections to a network of servers around the world.
Play your PlayStation from anywhere in the world
Using a VPN on your PS4 will fool you into thinking that you are accessing from somewhere else in the world. It’s great for reducing lag in games, accessing new PlayStation games, or geo-restricted streaming content.
Since Sony does not support VPN apps or their side download, you can configure your router to use a VPN connection by manually entering your VPN account details. Alternatively, you can configure your computer as a virtual router.
What method did you use to connect a VPN to your console? Let us know in the comment section.