Maintaining a good social media presence is a crucial part of online marketing. Instagram has become much more than a cozy place to view photos and send text messages to your friends. Business owners took the opportunity to convert casual Instagram users into customers.
They use many different methods to promote their brand and establish a name for themselves. Some of these methods led to new conventions and new ways of using Instagram. For example, the trend to post “bio links” is closely related to self-promotion.
What is «Link in Bio» on Instagram
When someone says “link in bio” in an Instagram post, it is a call to action for the customer. He invites you to visit his profile and view his bio, which contains a URL that takes you to an external website.
Instagram has a specific policy on posting links that can drive users away from your website or app. Although you can post links in your regular posts, users will not be able to click the URL.
In other words, they will have to copy and paste the link or open another window in their browser and type everything. Since ad space on Instagram is free, it makes sense that they decided to limit it.
Your bio link is the only one that is clickable.
Only one link in the bio per user
Many influential people and companies on Instagram refer you to the link in the bio in their posts. They use it to promote their latest product or service. But you can only use a single link on your bio page so you better make it count.
Your Instagram bio is only 150 characters long, so use your words wisely.
If you chose to register as a business account and you have more than 10,000 followers, you can also put links in each story. This is an extremely useful feature, but it isn’t available until your verified account makes it great. If you are just starting to build a brand on Instagram, you should focus on the bio for now.
How to use your Instagram bio link
Since there is only room for one clickable URL in your bio, you should make the most of it. Once you have the attention of customers, you must try to retain them so that they return.
Here are some ideas for your bio link:
- Add a link to your best product. If a product is already popular, it makes sense to include the website in its bio. Pick something that will hook people, and then your customers will be inspired to browse through the other things you have to offer. Then design your website in such a way that users enjoy exploring your other products or services.
- Promote a new product or a big sale. Use the hype from social media to boost your sales. Remember to mention discounts and maybe give promo codes.
- Give people free samples of your product or run a giveaway. Free stuff always attracts more customers, especially if there is a time limit involved.
- Let your followers know who you are. You can link to their About page and bring them closer to you.
- Invite people to watch your video, read your blog, or listen to your podcast. You can use any of these formats to genuinely connect with your audience. Remember that nobody likes generic and cheeky ads, but people enjoy discovering quality content.
How to use hashtags in your bio
Fortunately, Instagram recently added an option to include hashtags in your bio, and these can be hyperlinked. Also, you can create direct links to other profiles by tagging them. Here you will know how you can do it:
- Log in to your Instagram profile.
- Access your profile page.
- Look for the Edit Profile option.
- Click Bio and then simply type @username of the desired profile or add hashtags, starting with #.
- Save Changes.
Your followers can now click on those tags and will be redirected accordingly. Another pro tip is to create your own branded hashtags, which can lead people to your website.
Why doesn’t Link in Bio work?
If you have had trouble accessing web content by clicking on a Bio Link, the main culprit is that it was not saved properly.
- Tap on the person icon in the lower left corner of the app.
- Touch “Edit Profile.”
- Open your web page in a web browser and copy the link (simply typing abc.com may not work)
- Copy the URL into the ‘Website’ box
- Tap ‘Done’
Once this is complete, your link should turn into a clickable version. If you just type in your website url, it may not work properly. Copying and pasting the URL directly from your website is a safe way to ensure that the link is accurate.
Do biological links generate traffic?
If you are looking for Instagram analytics, you will have to switch to a business account. Analytics will show you how many people are engaging with your posts, stories, and profile. While it doesn’t show WHO is visiting you, it can give you an idea of whether your marketing tactics are working.
Your website host should also provide you with information about the traffic to your website, but it may not show you where that traffic is coming from.
To switch to a business account to get analytics updates:
- Tap the profile icon in the lower left corner of the app.
- Touch “Edit Profile.”
- Tap ‘Switch to business account’
- Tap ‘Business’
Follow the verification and setup methods provided by Instagram. You will receive an email once your account has been updated.
Instagram is very “Big Brother” when it comes to posting links. As stated above, even those with business accounts need 10,000 followers before they are allowed to post links on their Instagram stories.
If you’re wondering why this is the case, you only need to know one word for an explanation: spammers.
Thanks to the nefarious actions of spammers, scammers, and even trolls, the social media giant has cracked down on content that floods news sources and ruins the user experience. It’s actually a nice thing for those who use the app to scroll and discover.
For others, like those trying to become Influencers or using the platform to promote their homemade items or freelance work, it’s a completely different story. Posting a link in a bio is a solution for all users.
Link in your park
You are now officially ready to bring your Instagram bio to life. Note that while your website’s home page is a logical linking option, you can mix it up from time to time and link for something else. Your followers are looking for variety and innovation, so try to be imaginative and satisfy their needs.