Slack is a convenient tool for companies that have teams of mobile workers spread all over the world. It’s easy to use, well organized, and has everything a virtual office might need. In a Slack channel, you can brainstorm with your colleagues, exchange experiences, submit projects, and make suggestions.
But what if a colleague makes you an interesting suggestion that you like? Well, Slack allows you to add a reaction to a message with an emoji. If you’ve accidentally chosen the wrong emoji, here’s how to remove it.
Add and remove a reaction in Slack
Emoji reactions are very convenient. When you don’t have much time or are not in a position to write a response, simply choose an emoji to better express your reaction. Like two hands clapping when you want to say “Well done!” or the thumbs-up emoji to say “Okay” or “Annotated.”
If you are using Slack on your desktop, add a reaction as follows:
- Navigate your mouse to the message you want to react to and click the Add a reaction icon in the upper right corner.
- Choose the desired emoji and click on it.
- You will see the emoji just below the message.
However, if you are using Slack on your mobile phone, do the following:
- Long press the desired message.
- Touch Add reaction.
- Choose an emoji from the list and tap to add it to the message. You can choose one from the list of most used emojis or tap the Add reaction icon in the upper right corner to choose another.
You can also touch the message you want to react to. Once it’s open, tap the Add Reaction icon below the message.
Accidentally adding the wrong reaction can be a bit embarrassing. However, it can happen to anyone, so just take it off and get on with your day. It’s a piece of cake – tap or click the reaction in blue (that’s the one you added) and it will disappear.
However, you cannot remove reactions added by other team members, only those that you added yourself. You can add up to 23 reactions to any given message.
How can I see who reacted to my message?
If you want to know who reacted to your message and what emoji they used, here’s how to find out.
When you’re using Slack on your computer, do the following:
- In the upper left corner, choose @ Mentions & Reactions.
- Scroll through the list to see who reacted to your message.
Another way is to hover over the reaction to see who added it.
If you are accessing Slack from an Android smartphone, follow these steps:
- Tap the @ Mentions tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Scroll to see all the reactions to your messages.
Note that you may need to scroll for a while to find what you are looking for because people’s comments are also listed under Activity. If you just want to see the reaction, go to your message, long press on the reaction, and check who reacted in the new screen that will appear.
If you are an iOS user and you want to know who reacted to your message in Slack, do this:
- Open Slack and swipe left.
- When the right sidebar appears, tap Activity.
What kind of emoji can I use?
In Slack, you can use emojis in messages or in reaction to them. They make your virtual office a more cheerful and colorful place.
You can add an emoji to your message by choosing one from your keyboard, if you are using Slack on your smartphone, or by typing the emoji code. There are: tada:,: +1:,: raised_hands:, etc., to name a few. You can also touch the smiley face below the writing field and choose an emoji from the list.
Some emojis have concise code, so you can type them instead of looking for them in the emoji list. For example, if you want the confetti celebration emoji and you know the code by heart, just type: tada: and send the message. The code will turn into the corresponding emoji.
Note that if you are using hand emoji or people emoji, you can customize them. If you want to change the skin tone to suit yours, for example, do the following.
From your computer:
- Click the smiley icon in the typing field.
- Go to the lower right corner and select the hand icon.
- Choose the default skin tone for your future emoji.
From an Android phone:
- Tap the You tab in the lower right corner to open the menu.
- Choose Preferences.
- Scroll to find Advanced and tap to open.
- Tap Emoji Deluxe to set a default skin tone.
From an iOS device:
- Long press on the desired emoji.
- Choose the default skin tone from the pop-up menu.
Suitable reactions for all occasions
In many ways, this feature is like Facebook, only better. The number of reactions is almost infinite, so you can find a suitable reaction for almost any message that you and your colleagues exchange on Slack. In case you accidentally tap on the wrong emoji and put a sad face instead of a smiley face, you can immediately remove the reaction before someone sees it.
Do you use Slack? What emoji is on your “common use” list? Let us know in the comment section.