If you are a Windows operating system user, you are certainly used to working with Microsoft Word. When opening a new document, you’ve probably noticed that the page orientation is automatically set to Portrait. Formatting works well for text, but if you need to add an image or graphic, Landscape is much better suited.
Fortunately, the text formatting in Microsoft Word is not particularly complicated. But changing the default layout on individual pages requires a few extra steps. In this article, we will show you how to make a single horizontal page in Word.
How to make a one page landscape in Word 2010
When Microsoft released Office 2010, an updated version of Office 2007, it received rave reviews. Users were particularly satisfied with the improvements made to MS Word. The most welcome change was the reintroduction of the File menu, that is, the Backstage view.
Previous versions also had some editing issues that were resolved with the 2010 update. New features provide a better understanding of formatting tools. Some design issues were also addressed for the first time. This refers to the use of ligatures: the union of two letters (for example; æ), in particular.
When it comes to changing the page orientation in your Word document, there are two options. The portrait layout is more elongated and therefore more suitable for text files. However, if you plan to incorporate large graphics, columns, or images, you should switch to Landscape. That way, your pages will be much wider and can accommodate large files.
Naturally, it can come and go between the two. If you don’t have as many additions to your text, you can use Portrait for most of the pages. However, those that contain inserts require Landscape. Here’s how to make a horizontal page in Word 2010 using section breaks:
- Click on your Word document to open it.
- Go to the top of the page you want to apply Landscape to, which means if you want to change the layout on page 4, scroll to the top and click there.
- Then locate Page design in the ribbon menu and tap Pauses.
- Please select Next page in the drop-down menu.
- Opened Page design and go to Orientation and select Scenery.
- Now, you will need to reopen the Home tab to activate paragraph marks. Click on Show / Hide paragraph marks, that is, the symbol ¶. That gives you an overview of the section break you’ve created.
- Now you have to create another section break. Scroll to the top of the next page (in this case, page 5).
- Repeat steps 3 through 4 to create a new section break.
- Then open the Orientation tab again, but this time select Portrait.
Once you’re done, everything between the two section breaks will now have a horizontal layout. Don’t forget to change the orientation back to Portrait after the second section break. Otherwise, the next page will also be Landscape.
How to make a one page landscape in Word 2016
Microsoft Office 2016 is the latest version to support older Windows operating systems such as Windows 7 and 8. This includes earlier editions of MS Office, specifically 2003, 2007, and 2010. Like its predecessors, it introduced several updates to Office products. .
Many updates were made specifically for the new MS Word. In addition to the updated interface, users applauded the new collaboration features. Integration with online storage platforms such as OneDrive it was also refined in this version. Additionally, Microsoft added a new search tool to locate specific commands.
When it comes to changing the page orientation, nothing has changed. Just repeat the 2010 delivery method. You can make a single horizontal page using the Section Break feature on the Page Layout tab.
However, if you want to avoid adding section breaks to your document manually, there is another way. Here’s how to make a horizontal page in Word 2016 using page setup:
- Highlight the content you want to make horizontal.
- Click on the Design tab in the ribbon menu at the top.
- Now go to Page setup section, it’s the little arrow icon in the lower-right corner.
- So low Orientation, click on the box that says Scenery.
- At the bottom of the section, click the To apply for drop down menu, then Selected textand confirm by selecting OK.
The highlighted part of your document will now be displayed on a different page in landscape orientation. This method is a bit easier because you don’t have to add section breaks to your document manually. Microsoft Word will do it for you.
How to make a one page landscape in Word 2019
The 2019 update brought significant changes to MS Office graphics and introduced some new features. MS Word was updated with the addition of Learning tools to the ribbon menu. The most notable tool is Read out loud – the option to have your document read to you.
If you are wondering how to make a one page landscape in Word 2019, once again nothing is different. You can use the same two methods from versions 2016 and 2010. Which means you can add section breaks yourself or let the program do it for you via Page Settings.
How to make all pages landscape in Word
Landscape works best for documents that include tables of contents, data rendering, and large image files. The layout is wider than Vertical, which means you can add more columns to your spreadsheets and use high-resolution photos.
It’s much easier to change the orientation on all pages, rather than just one. Here’s how to make all pages landscape in Word:
- Go to the Design section in the ribbon menu.
- Now click Orientation.
- In the drop-down menu, select Scenery.
Now your entire document will be formatted horizontally. This will give you additional space for your files and can include more information.
If you’re wondering if the process is different for MAC laptops, don’t worry. Since its initial release in 1983, MS Word has been successfully applied to many other platforms. Almost all the text formatting functions are also available to Apple users.
Regarding page orientation, the process is the same for macOS as it is for Windows operating systems.
How to format Microsoft Word documents
Each version of MS Word includes a selection of advanced text formatting features. Being able to change the orientation of individual pages is just one of its useful features.
Of course, you will use different tools for different types of documents. The interface is neatly organized and self-explanatory. In general, this is how to format Microsoft Word documents:
- Highlight the text you want to format. You can select both single words and whole lines.
- Explore the ribbon menu above the workspace.
- Please select an option.
The ribbon menu is divided into sections with different types of functions. For example, if you want to change the page orientation, click on the “Page Layout” bar. Then you can continue with the steps mentioned in the previous paragraphs.
How to make a landscape of a page in Google Docs
When it comes to popularity, the only file editor that could compete with MS Word is Google Docs. If you are more of a Google user, you know that single page layout is available as well.
The process is similar to MS Word formatting, with a few minor differences. Here’s how to make a page horizontal in Google Docs by using section breaks:
- Open Google Docs in your browser and search for your file.
- Click where you want to add a section break.
- Now click Insert in the menu bar at the top and then select Jump> Section Jump.
- Then go to File> Page Settings.
- A small window will appear below To apply for choose This section.
- Then change the orientation to Scenery.
- Click OK to confirm.
As with MS Word, it is possible to make all pages landscape. That’s how:
- Find the Google Docs document that you want to format.
- At the top of the page, there is a menu bar. Click on Proceedings.
- Please select Page setup from the menu.
- So low Orientation look at the little circle next to Scenery.
- Confirm with OK.
You can also do this by using section breaks. Follow the same steps apart from no. 5. Instead of selecting This section, click on This section forward and the following pages will also be in landscape format.
There are no spots in this landscape
Microsoft Word is considered one of the most popular word processors in the world. Due to its user-friendly interface and many nifty features, it can be found on a wide range of platforms.
Being an integral part of MS Office software, Word is regularly updated every few years. However, regardless of the version, making a horizontal page in your document is always the same. There are two options to choose from: create section breaks manually or have Word do it for you.
It is also possible to change the orientation of an individual page in Google Docs. It is just as simple and there is also the option to change the orientation of various sections.
Did you know how to format the page layout before this? When and why do you use landscape orientation? Comment below and let us know if you have another way to do it.