If you want to get an audio file from a video, you will need to convert the MP4 to MP3. MP3 files are compatible with any device that streams music, which is one of the most common reasons for conversion. Fortunately, dozens of programs and applications allow you to do it with just a few clicks.
If you want to convert MP4 to MP3, you have come to the right place. In this article, we will discuss the best apps to do it on multiple platforms and provide a step-by-step guide on how to do it.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 Format on Mac
If you are a Mac user and want to convert MP4 to MP3, we have good news for you: many applications allow you to do it quickly and easily.
The application we recommend to convert is the «Free MP3 Converter“App. Besides converting MP4 to MP3, this application can process more than 200 audio and video formats. Also, it improves the quality of MP3 files if the volume is too low.
The application offers a free and premium version. If you choose the free option, you will have limited options available. The premium version offers features like batch converting files or adding effects. Follow the steps below to install the application and convert your files:
- Open the Mac App Store and type “To MP3 Converter Free” in the search bar, or visit this website.
- Install the application on your Mac.
- Drag and drop the MP4 file to your device’s application or browser to select it. Or click ‘Browse’ and select the file you are looking for in the Finder.
- Click ‘Convert’ after selecting the file you want to convert.
- Once converted, click on the blue hyperlink to save the file.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 on Windows 10 PC
Various applications allow you to convert MP4 files to MP3 in Windows 10. Our recommendation is the «Vidmore Video Converter. »Please note that this application has a free and paid version. With the free version, you can only convert five minutes of a video file.
- Download the application from this website.
- Install the app and choose the free trial.
- Press the plus sign to add the MP4 file or drag and drop it into the app.
- On the right side, press «MP4».
- Press “Audio” and then select the first MP3 option.
- In the lower left corner, choose the destination folder for the MP3 file.
- Select “Convert All”.
- Press «Continue free trial».
Your MP4 file will now be converted and saved in your preferred folder. If you want to convert more than five minutes of material, save the file in high quality, add different effects to the file, etc., you will have to buy a subscription.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 on iPhone
If you want to convert MP4 files to MP3 and you are using an iPhone, you will be glad to know that there is a free application that you can use. His name is “Media Converter – video a MP3, ”And we’ll walk you through the process:
- Go to App Store and download “Media Converter – video to MP3” or tap this Link to do it.
- Open the app and tap the plus sign in the upper right corner.
- Choose the video you want to convert. You can import it from your folders, Camera Roll, or iCloud Drive.
- Now that you have added it to the library, tap on the “i” icon on the right.
- Touch “Extract Audio” and customize the settings. You can extract a specific part of the video, adjust the volume, etc.
- Tap ‘Start Conversion’.
- Once converted, the file will appear in the library. Touch the “i” icon on the right.
- Choose whether you want to share the file through an application or save the file to your device.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 on Android
Android users who want to convert MP4 files to MP3 can find several useful applications on the Play Store. The application we recommend is called «Video to MP3 Converter – MP3 Cutter & Merger. «
In addition to converting your video to audio files, the application allows you to customize the volume, cut specific parts of the files, etc.
Follow the steps below to use it:
- Vaya a Play Store y busque «Video to MP3 Converter – MP3 Cutter and Merger» o vaya a este Link.
- Install and open the application.
- Choose “Video to Audio”. The app will ask for your permission to access the media and files on your device.
- Select the MP4 file you want to convert.
- Under “Format”, select “MP3”.
- Tap ‘Convert’.
- The file will be converted and saved on your device. You can choose to share it through different apps, set it as a ringtone, etc.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 in iTunes
You can convert MP4 files to MP3 in iTunes for Windows or the Apple Music application for Mac. If you are using Windows, follow these steps:
- Open iTunes.
- In the main menu, press “Edit” and then press “Preferences”.
- Select the “General” tab and press “Import settings”.
- From the import menu, choose MP3 Encoder.
- Choose the files you are converting, press “File” and then choose “Convert”.
- Press «Create MP3 version».
Your file will be converted to MP3 and placed in the library. If you want it elsewhere, drag and drop it to your preferred location.
If you are using a Mac, follow the steps below:
- Abre Apple Music.
- Press “Music” and then select “Preferences.”
- Go to the “Files” tab.
- Then press «Import configuration».
- Choose the MP3 encoding format from the drop-down menu.
- Select the files you are converting.
- Select “File” and then press “Convert.”
- Press «Create MP3 version». The MP3 files will appear in your library.
Note: If the option of Create MP3 version is grayed out, you must first download the file to your Mac. First, you will need to authorize your Mac by clicking Bill on top of your Mac and logging in. Then click Authorizations. Finally, authorize your computer and return to the Music application. Then, hover over the file you want to convert and click the little down arrow that appears. Wait for the download to complete and try the conversion again.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 Using VLC
VLC It is one of the most popular free media players and is available on multiple platforms. It doesn’t offer many features for editing and customizing your files, but it does cover the basics, which is sufficient for most users. Here’s how to convert your files with VLC Player:
- If you don’t have it yet, download the player from here website and open it.
- Select “Media” and choose the “Convert / Save” option.
- Press “Add” and select the file you want to convert.
- Select “Convert / Save”.
- Go to “Profile” and choose “Audio – MP3”.
- Press “Browse” and choose where you want to save the file.
- Select “Start”.
When the process is complete, your file will be saved in the folder of your choice.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 in Audacity
Audacity is another free application available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Besides other options, you can use it to convert MP4 files to MP3. To do this, you will need to install the FFmpeg library, without which Audacity cannot convert your files. Here’s how to do it:
- If you haven’t already, download Audacity and open it.
- If you are on Windows, press “Edit” and open “Preferences”. If you are on Mac, press “File” and then select “Preferences”.
- Open the “Libraries” tab.
- Press “Download” next to “FFmpeg Library.” You will be redirected to the FAQ section of the FFmpeg library. Open the installation section for your operating system to access the instructions.
- Once you’ve installed the FFmpeg library, open the folder with the MP4 file you want to convert, drag and drop it into Audacity.
- Press “File” and select “Export as MP3” under “Export”. Choose the destination for the MP3 file.
Once the conversion is complete, the file will be saved in the selected folder.
Here are some more answers to your questions about file conversions.
What happens when I convert an MP4 file to MP3?
If you are not familiar with file formats and conversions, you may wonder what happens when you convert an MP4 file to MP3. Fortunately, it is a relatively simple concept to understand. A file in MP4 format contains both audio and video. When you convert to an MP3 format, you are removing any video quality that is left with just audio.
Do I need to convert my files?
The decision to convert your files largely depends on your needs. For example, as explained above, an MP4 file contains video while the MP3 format contains only audio. The most common reason to convert these files is to save space on your device.
Convert MP4 to MP3 for Free
Converting MP4 to MP3 files allows you to save your favorite video tracks and listen to them whenever you want. Most apps require you to purchase a subscription, but we’ve compiled this list of free apps or apps that offer free trials that allow conversion without paying. Although most of the free versions limit the number of options available, they get the job done.
How do you convert MP4 files to MP3? Do you use any of the applications we have mentioned above? Let us know in the comment section below.