You came across canned food at DayZ and you wanted to get its energy. Although he tried to figure out how to open the can, it turned out to be more difficult than expected.
There are several ways to do this, but it depends on the type of can and the instrument you use to open it. If you’re feeling a bit malnourished and need the energy locked up in these little cans, you’ve come to the right place.
Read on for the many ways to open cans in DayZ on Xbox One, PS4, and PC.
How to open cans in DayZ
The problem between new and returning players is notable when it comes to finding food. After all, Chernarus is notable for both its size and its famine. To avoid starvation, the first thing to learn about your food is to differentiate cans into two categories: those with rings and those without.
Tins with flap
If the can has a ring pull, open it with your bare hands. See these steps to open a ringed can:
- Open your inventory.
- Select the can to put it in your hands.
- Press the left mouse button on PC, RT (Right Trigger) on Xbox and R2 on PS4. The can will open when the animation ends.
Although it may seem necessary, it is not necessary to hold down the button. The following are some of the canned goods that you can open without tools.
- Canned pork
- Canned tuna
- Canned cold cuts
- Canned dog and cat food
Non-pull tab cans
For cans that do not have rings, you can use a can opener. The following are cans that require a tool to open:
- Canned sardines
- Canned Baked Beans
- Canned peaches
- Canned spaghetti
- Canned bacon
Although you can’t repair them once they break, the advantage of using a functional can opener is that you don’t spill any of the canned food. To use one, see these instructions for opening cans:
- Open the inventory.
- Grab the canned food to place it on the floor.
- Hold a can opener in your hands.
- Press the action button. It’s the LMB on PC, R2 on PS4, and RT on Xbox.
- You need to hold down the action button until the animation is complete.
- Press the action button to collect the can.
If a recently opened can may disappear from inventory, it is because the can is in a “Protective Case”. To retrieve the can, simply select its protective case. As a general note, remember to check your inventory, as you may already have some food at the beginning of your games.
If recovery doesn’t seem like enough on its own, check out the following survival tips to make better use of your food and energy.
How to move efficiently to find more canned food
Since DayZ food and water are all about energy, here are some additional survival tips to improve your food and energy intake:
- Dry food: do not eat burned or rotten food as it will make you sick. Although dry food may seem inedible, unlike rotten and burned food, dry food is edible.
- “Food Stations” – Take a look at the boats stranded ashore. Occasionally, they have food, such as canned food and drinks, dry sacks, fishing hooks, raincoats, and more. Greenhouses and polyethylene tunnels can also hold canned food, beverages, and more.
- Fruits and Mushrooms: You can also find pears, apples, and plums under fruit trees. As for the mushrooms, they are all edible, plus you can find them everywhere, especially after it rains.
Can cans be opened without a can opener?
Some cans do not require any tools to open them. As for those that need a tool to open, you can open them with instruments other than a can opener.
Although there is a spill factor when you don’t use a can opener, it can be worth it if you don’t have a can opener. Therefore, the main advantage of can openers over other instruments is that they open cans relatively quickly without spillage.
If you don’t have a can opener, you can opt for sharp tools such as a screwdriver, knife, ax, bayonet, and more. No matter the instrument, if it is sharp, the instructions for opening one can remain the same as those mentioned above.
Canned food saves the day
It is essential to collect and make good use of all the food you find, as long as it is not rotten or burned. In unforgiving Chernarus, food and drink are new wine and gold. Therefore, for foods that you cannot take with you, do not drop them. Instead, eat them on the spot to turn them into energy. If you can’t open the cans, hold them and find a sharp tool to reach your food. When it comes to surviving Chernarus, every detail counts.
What is your favorite alternative tool to the “can opener” for opening cans? To what extent has canned food been crucial to your survival? Let us know in the comment section below.