There are many reasons why you might want to know how to remove the background from an image. For example, you might want to change the background to something else, layer your image theme on top of something, or just want a nice clean image with no background clutter.
If you want to edit an image to remove the background, you have several free options available. And you don’t need to download an image-editing program to get the job done, if you don’t already have one installed.
- Best Photo Editing Apps Currently Available
- Best Free Photo Editing Software
- How to edit photos in MS Paint
However, figuring out how to remove the background from an image can be tricky if you don’t already know it, and you may even be tempted to pay for software to do the work for you. But this is not really necessary most of the time.
If you want to remove a background without downloading a new program, the first thing to try is uploading the image to a free website. You can also try using an image editing app if you are on a mobile device. We will explain the best methods below.
How to remove the background from an image using Photopea
If you have used Photoshop before then Photopea It will look familiar to you – it has similar features, but it works in your browser. The best thing about Photopea is that it is free, you don’t even need to register to use it.
1. Open your image in Photopea by selecting “Open from computer”.
2. Select the Magic Wand tool from the Tools menu on the left. If you don’t see the magic wand, try clicking and holding the icons to expand them and choose the magic wand from the list.
3. Click on the background of your image.
4. If the magic wand did not select the entire background, undo your selection and try adjusting the tolerance to a higher number. This should allow you to select the entire background.
5. Once the entire background has been selected, press the Delete key on your keyboard. This will remove the background. You can then save your project as a PSD file or export it as PNG, JPEG, or another type of file.
How to remove the background from an image using PicsArt
If you’re on a mobile device, a good free way to remove the background from your image is to use PicsArt. There are plenty of photo editing apps to choose from on both the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store, but PicsArt is one of the best options and is available for both. Android and iOS.
1. To get started with PicsArt, click on the purple “+” icon at the bottom of the screenand then select the image you want to edit from your gallery.
2. Select “Trim” from the menu at the bottom. You can hold your finger on the menu and slide your finger left or right to navigate through the different options.
3. Select “Outline” and draw around the outline of your image subject. If you have problems, remember that you can use the “Undo” button in the menu at the top and you can pinch the screen to zoom in or out.
4. The selection you have made will be highlighted in red. You can also use the ‘Brush’ and ‘Erase’ tools after you’ve made the outline to refine your selection. When you’re satisfied, hit the brand icon in the menu at the top.
5. You can save the image to the camera roll immediately by pressing the «Download» icon in the menu at the top. Alternatively, tap the «Next» arrow, which will take you to the save and share screen.
6. Press «Save» to save the image on your deviceor upload it to your PicsArt account storage. You can also select “Share” to post the image publicly on PicsArt.
How to remove the background from an image with Adobe Spark
Adobe Spark is a free website that offers a powerful set of image editing tools, including the ability to remove the background from an image. You have to sign up for an account in order to download the image you create, but the service is still free.
1. Go to Adobe Background Removal Page.
2. Upload your photo by dragging and dropping it on the web page or by browsing for the file on your computer.
3. Adobe will automatically remove the background. Once the removal is complete, click the “Download” button. You will need to log into your account or sign up for one before you can download your image.
How to remove the background from an image using Removebg
Similar a Adobe Spark, Eliminar.bg It’s free, but you must register and buy credits to download your final high-resolution image. You can download a slightly lower resolution version for free without registering.
1. Go to Eliminar.bg.
2. Click on “Upload your image”. to upload the file from your device.
3. Remove.bg will automatically remove the background.
4. If you don’t like how the picture looks, click on the brush icon in the upper right of the image. This will allow you to blur the background, select a preset background to put your image on top, or edit the parts of the image that were cropped with the erase and restore tool.
5. Once you are happy click the “Download” button. You can download a preview of the image in lower resolution for free, but to download the full resolution version, you will need to sign up for a Remove.bg account.
Want more editing tips? We have many tutorials to help you. check how to edit videos on YouTube or our 5 essential tips for video editing. If you want to print your job, see the best photo printers. Or, if you’re not done getting creative, try our best photo collage apps.
- Plus: How to upload to Google Photos
- How to permanently delete Google Photos