Everyone knows that TikTok is today’s preferred video app. But the secret behind every great TikTok video is its audio. In fact, one of the unique features of this platform is that you can create a video using the sound taken from another video. So the more your audio can be shared, the more likely your original video will be discovered.
This article covers the basics of creating and adding sound to your TikToks, as well as some tips to make your audio easier to share.
How to add your own sound to TikTok
Your main concern when creating TikTok videos should be its uniqueness. The last thing people want to see is a copy of something they already saw. With this in mind, you will likely have different audio needs for each of your videos. These are some of the basics that you must have in your arsenal.
How to make a voiceover on TikTok
After recording or uploading your video, you may feel like you could benefit from a little storytelling. Fortunately, this is a default feature of the app. Here’s how to voice-over on TikTok:
- In the TikTok app, tap + to create a new video.
- Record your video or upload one, then tap Next.
- On the editor page, tap the Voiceover button.
- Touch or hold the Record button and speak into your phone’s microphone.
- Press Save to finish editing your video.
- Once you’re done editing, tap Next to give your post a title.
- Tap Post. You just posted your first TikTok with a voiceover!
How to add your own music to TikTok
If you are not a fan of popular TikTok songs and want to record a video with unique sound, adding your own music or sound effects to TikTok videos requires a separate video editing app. For the sake of this article, we’ll be using Apple’s iMovie to show you how to add your own sound to TikTok. If you don’t have the app on your phone yet, you can download iMovie de la App Store. Once you have it installed, follow these steps:
- Abra iMovie.
- Touch + and select Movie.
- Select your video and tap Create Movie.
- Touch +.
- Find the sound you want to add. If it’s in your music library, tap Audio and then My Music. Or if you have it stored as a file, tap Files.
- Once you’ve added the sound to your video, tap Done.
- Touch the Share icon at the bottom of the screen and select Save Video.
The video will be saved to your Photos app and you can upload it to the TikTok app from there. But you will quickly notice that you have black bars on the left and right of the video. Fortunately, you can use the Photos app to get rid of those bars. That’s how:
- Open your Photos app and select the video.
- Select Edit and tap the Crop icon.
- At the top, there’s a cropping preset icon next to the three dots. Play it.
- Select 16: 9 and choose the vertical square icon.
- Touch Done to save your changes. Now your video is TikTok ready with sound and no bars.
How to create your own sound on TikTok to use later
Maybe you want to create a couple of different sounds for your videos to store and save for later. Instead of leaving them all on your phone, there is a way to do it on TikTok.
Once you’ve attached your sound to a video by following the steps in the last section, here’s how you upload it to TikTok and save it for later:
- Open TikTok and press +.
- Select your video and tap Next three times. Then you can give your video a description.
- Tap ‘Who can see this video’.
- Select Private.
- Finally, tap on Post.
Your video is now published, but only you can see it. When you’re ready to use video sound, follow these steps:
- On TikTok, tap Me in the lower right corner.
- Go to the private tab (it looks like a lock icon).
- Select your video.
- Tap the record icon in the lower right.
- Press «Use this sound». All that is left is to record or upload your video.
How to Make Your Own TikTok Sound Go Viral
While there is no magic way to ensure your audio goes viral on TikTok, there are a few strategies that can help give it a boost.
1. make it discreet
If you’ve ever edited a video using different clips from your iPhone, you are well aware that the best audio is the one you don’t even notice. The same goes for your TikToks. You want people to pay attention to the content of your video, not the inconsistency of your audio. So be sure to record clean sound with minimal background noise. And trust us, that doesn’t mean spending a lot of money on expensive recording equipment. Just paying attention to getting clear audio without reverb will go a long way.
2. Keep it short and loopy
The TikTok algorithm works, so if someone watches your videos multiple times, your next video is more likely to be shown. And a great way to get multiple views is to keep the videos short. But if you can make your videos loop seamlessly, people may not even realize that the video has started again and will keep watching.
The same goes for your sound. If you create a repeating sound, when people add it to their own videos, your followers will see those videos multiple times. And in turn, it will show its followers your new videos when you publish them.
3. Turn up the volume
You never know how people will listen to your videos. Will they have headphones? Will they be in public? Is one of your phone’s speakers broken? There are many variables when it comes to how users can hear, so you will need to make sure your video is audible to everyone. And the best way to do it is to turn up the volume.
4. Be unique
The Internet is full of the same old ideas that are repeated over and over again. People want to see something new. As mentioned above, your main TikTok focus should be to focus on uniqueness. When creating sounds for TikTok, think about what only you can bring. That is what people will want to share.
TikTok videos require a bit more production than those normally shared on platforms like Instagram or Snapchat, but they are also one step below what is expected on YouTube. That said, TikTok is still very much a social media platform, which is why the name of the game is shareability. And anything you can do to make your videos shine, like present unique sound, will go a long way toward getting more views.