Roku is one of the most popular streaming platforms available. The devices feature a wealth of free content, but they also offer access to your favorite paid streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and others. Also, Roku has a great interface with a unique TV remote that is easy to use.
It is easy to use and you can even customize it to your preferences. However, from time to time, your Roku may report an “Not Enough Space” error. Why is this happening and how can you fix it?
Roku Express space issue
Those who have been using the Roku Express, compared to other models, may have experienced problems from not having enough space. When users try to add or start a channel, they see the “Not enough space” error. This scenario is the case for some Roku Express models, and there were complaints directly with Roku. Roku quickly resolved the issue by providing an update to correct the bug. If you still have the problem, you may need to check for an update. That’s how.
- Activate your Roku Express and make sure it is connected to the internet.
- Navigate to “Start> Settings> System> System update> Check now.”
- Roku Express will check for an update. If it finds one, it will download it and complete the update process. It may restart during installation, so don’t worry if it does.
- Once you see the home screen, your Roku is ready to go. Please try it again to confirm if it solved your “out of space” problem.
Even if the steps above don’t solve your problem, keeping your Roku Express up to date is always good. However, if you still suffer from the “Out of Space” problem, try the other options below, which work for any Roku model that needs more storage.
Delete channels to resolve Roku space issues
One of the ways you can free up space on any Roku device is to delete the least used or unused channels. Often times, you’ve downloaded quite a few channels inadvertently, and some tend to hide deep down on the list. Maybe this out of space notification will encourage you to do a “spring cleaning” on your Roku! Channel cleaning is an essential way to increase storage capacity. Here’s how to delete channels on your Roku.
- Go to the Roku home screen and click “My channels.”
- Using your remote, select the channel you want to delete and then press » * « (star button) on the remote control.
- Please select «Delete channel» and then press «OK» on the remote control.
- To confirm the deletion of the channel, select “Remove” and press «OK» to confirm.
Add an SD card to solve out of space problems
If you’re not looking to delete anything on your Roku player, your other option is to add an SD card if your model supports it. Some Roku players provide access to a micro SD card slot on the side or back, while others do not. If your model has an SD card slot, using it is especially beneficial when you need to expand the amount of internal memory on your Roku. It also opens the door to more apps and games.
Also, for best results, you’ll need an SD card with a minimum of 2GB of storage, which shouldn’t be a problem, but the more the merrier! You probably want at least 20GB. Here’s how to add an SD card to your Roku and make sure it’s working properly.
- Insert the SD card into the Roku device. You will probably hear a click that ensures it is in place.
- On your screen, select “Format” when “micro SD card detected” appears. Everything that was on the SD card will be deleted.
- press “Continue” to start the formatting process.
- Please select «OK» when formatting is completed successfully.
How to safely remove the SD card from a Roku device
If you decide to remove the SD card for any reason, you should know that everything stored on it will not be erased. However, without the SD card installed, all the channels and games you had there will need to be downloaded back to Roku’s internal storage.
Note: You cannot move the channels and games stored on the SD card to a different Roku device.
Factory reset your Roku to fix space issues
Freeing up space on your Roku could be fixed with an update, removing unused channels, or adding an SD card (where applicable). However, a factory reset erases everything and starts the device from scratch, removing all the files, apps, channels, leftover data, and cached customizations that eat up a lot of your precious space. If you can’t use an SD card, you tried to delete some of the channels, and you tried to update your device without success, a factory reset is the best option.
To do a factory reset on your Roku device, follow the steps below.
- press the “Home” on the Roku remote.
- Scroll down and select «Settings» later “System.”
- Locate and select “Advanced system settings.”
- Choose “Factory reset”.
- Finally select “Reset all to factory” then continue following the instructions on the screen.
More space on Roku means more fun
If you’re not interested in ditching the channels and games you’ve downloaded to Roku, a micro SD card can be your gateway to even more entertainment content. However, if you’re more curious about keeping your Roku feed seamless, make sure you always have the latest update and that not a single channel goes unused.