Have you ever posted a photo on Instagram only to change your mind about sharing it with the public? Obviously, deleting said photo is an option, but there is also a less radical option. By using Instagram Archive, you can temporarily delete a photo and then put it back on your profile if you change your mind – the perfect solution for the fickle photographer.
Instagram Archive is a nifty little tool, not just for the indecisive among us, but also for when it comes to sharing memories, highlighting stories, and increasing engagement on your posts. Here’s how to use Archive to your advantage on Instagram.
What is Instagram Archive and how does it work?
So what exactly is the Instagram archive? This nifty feature was rolled out in 2017 and allows users to remove photos and videos from their profile without completely deleting them. With Instagram Archive, you can still see your archived photos, but the rest of the world won’t know they exist.
Instagram Archive stores both Posts and Stories, and although you have to archive posts manually, you can easily adjust your settings so that your Stories are automatically added to Instagram Archive after 24 hours.
How to archive posts on Instagram
- Open Instagram and navigate to your profile.
- Touch the photo you want to archive.
- Select the three dots in the upper right corner of your post.
- Choose Archive.
- Your photo will disappear from your profile.
Where to find your archived photos on Instagram
- Open Instagram and go to your profile.
- Touch the menu (three horizontal lines) in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Tap Archive. All your archived posts will be displayed here.
- Touch the drop-down arrow at the top of the screen to choose between Archived Posts or Stories.
How to Automatically Save Stories to Instagram Stories Archive
You can enable automatic archiving of your Stories within your settings on Instagram. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Instagram menu on your Instagram profile.
- Touch Settings> Privacy> History.
- Scroll down to Save and turn on the Save to File feature. All your stories will now be saved in the Instagram archives.
How to put archived posts back on Instagram
Changed your mind about a post you’ve archived? Here’s how to add it back to your profile:
- Open Instagram and navigate to your profile.
- Tap the menu in the upper right corner.
- Tap Archive.
- Choose the photo you want to return to Instagram.
- Tap on the three dots in the corner of the post.
- Tap Show in profile. The post will be returned to the original location on your Instagram feed.
5 ways to use Instagram Archive to engage your audience
Now that you know the basics of Instagram Archive, here’s how to use it creatively to engage your audience.
1. Highlight your best stories
The Highlight feature on Instagram is a great way to display your best Stories directly on your profile. Because all your stories are automatically archived, it’s easy to create and change your Instagram highlight stories with just a few taps. Here’s how to add archived stories to your highlights:
- Open Instagram and navigate to the menu from your profile.
- Tap Archive and choose Stories from the drop-down menu at the top of the screen.
- Scroll through your Archived Stories until you find one that you want to add to Featured.
- Touch the Story and choose Highlight.
- Choose the highlight you want to add it to or tap + to create a new highlight.
2. Post your memories to Stories
Did you know that Instagram keeps track of the dates of your posts so you can add them as Stories to increase engagement? Your memories are in your Instagram files under Stories. Depending on how long you’ve been posting on Instagram, you may see one or more Memories. Next to your post, it will say “On this day – [x] years ago today, ”followed by a Share button. To share your post on your Stories, just tap the button and create your Story.
3. Try different Instagram themes on your account
An Instagram theme is simply a cohesive look for your feed based on a specific style, color, or type of photo. You don’t need to create a theme for your Instagram account to be successful, but Instagram accounts with recognizable themes tend to get more engagement and recognition. Want to try it yourself without damaging your account? Decide on a topic and choose the posts that fit within it. File the rest. It’s that easy. If you don’t like your new topic, all you have to do is return the archived posts to your feed.
4. Repost photos that did not generate a large engagement.
Using the Instagram Archive gives us the opportunity to increase engagement by using analytics of an archived post to repost and gain greater engagement. By using Instagram Insights, you can easily see which posts got the least amount of engagement over the past year. Now maybe those photos were unsatisfying to begin with, but it could also be that you posted the photo at a strange time, your caption was monotonous, or you didn’t make good use of your hashtags. You can test your theory by archiving those posts and creating new posts from the same photos using a different technique to get more engagement.
5. Reuse photos without making them look repetitive
Like most social media platforms, the lifespan of a single Instagram post can be quite short. You might see interaction for a few days, but after that, your views, likes, and comments will probably stagnate, and you’ll have to create a new post for your followers to enjoy. If you’re running out of new photos to post, can you reuse some old photos that you particularly like by archiving and reposting? This not only breathes new life into your photos, it also frees up more of your time.
Ready to improve your Instagram game? It’s time to show your best work, encourage engagement, and attract new followers – all with the Instagram Archive.