The only thing about Snapchat that sets it apart from other social networks is the time-limited nature of the posts you share. So when you send a photo or video to a friend, you only have a short window to view it. And once they see it, it disappears.
But what if you want to save Snapchat video on your iPhone? Well, if you keep reading, this article will explain how to do it.
Before saving any Snapchat video
Even though you’re ready to start saving Snapchat videos, there are a couple of things you need to do before downloading anything.
Make room for videos on your iPhone
Videos can take up a lot of storage space on your iPhone, so before you go overboard to download and save Snapchat videos, you need to check your phone and get rid of the videos that take up the most space.
One of the fastest ways to review all your videos is with Gemini Photos. In addition to looking for duplicate or blurry images, Gemini Photos identifies the videos that take up the most space and helps you quickly delete them.
Download photos of Gemini from the App Store and follow these steps to delete your old unwanted videos:
- Open Gemini Photos and let it scan your library.
- Touch Videos.
- Select one of the videos and Gemini Photos will allow you to preview it.
- Swipe up on the video to hold it. Swipe down on the video to delete it.
- Gemini Photos will display the following video.
- When you’re done reviewing your videos, tap Empty Trash.
- Confirm your decision to delete the videos by tapping Delete.
- Open the Photos app on your iPhone.
- Touch Albums> Recently Deleted> Select> Delete All.
Get permission from the author
Before downloading a video that was sent to you on Snapchat, you should always contact the creator and ask for their permission. Snapchat does not allow you to download another user’s content natively within the app because saving a video without the owner’s consent is unethical. So it’s best to make sure that the person who made and sent the video approves that you save it.
How to download your own Snapchat videos
There are a couple of ways that you can save your Snapchat videos, depending on whether you have already posted them or not.
If you have just recorded your video and haven’t shared it yet, you can follow these steps to save it to your Camera Roll:
- After recording your video, tap the Save button (which looks like a down arrow at the bottom of the screen). A pop-up window will appear.
- Tap Memories & Camera Roll.
- Touch Save.
- Then, you will find your video in the Photos app on your iPhone.
If you’ve already shared your video with friends but forgot to save it beforehand, don’t worry. You can still go back and keep it by following these steps:
- With Snapchat open, swipe up to see your Memories.
- Touch the video you want to save.
- Touch the three dots in the upper right corner.
- Touch Export Snapshot> Save Video.
How to save someone else’s Snapchat video
As you read before, it is possible to download someone else’s video on Snapchat, but because the app doesn’t allow you to do so, it’s not as straightforward as downloading your own content.
Can you save other people’s Snap videos?
It is important to note that saving and then sharing someone else’s video from Snapchat is copyright infringement. And technically, it’s a direct violation of Snapchat’s terms of service. So if you decide to download or save someone’s video, make sure it’s for personal use only.
How to record a Snapchat video
Because Snapchat does not have a feature that allows you to download other people’s videos, you will have to rely on your iPhone’s screen recording feature. If you don’t have screen recording enabled yet, she explains how to do it:
- Go to the Settings app.
- Touch Control Center> Customize controls.
- Tap the green + button next to Screen Recording.
Now that you have added Screen Recording to your Control Center, just follow these steps to record a Snapchat video:
- Open Snapchat.
- Swipe down from the upper right corner to open Control Center.
- Tap the Record Screen button and wait for it to start.
- Swipe up on Control Center to go back to Snapchat.
- Touch the video you want to save and let it play.
- When the video ends, tap the red bar above the clock in the upper left corner.
- Touch Stop.
When you’ve finished recording your screen, your video will appear in the Photos app.
Does anyone know if you screen-record their Snapchat story?
When you use the screen recording feature on your iPhone, Snapchat sends a notification to the other person to let them know that they have recorded their video. Therefore, it is better to ask the author of the video for permission before recording it. They will find out anyway.
How to edit a Snapchat video you downloaded
After you have recorded a Snapchat video, you may notice that you want to trim or crop it. Fortunately, you can do all of that using just the Photos app.
To trim Snapchat screen recording:
- Open the Photos app.
- Touch screen recording.
- In the upper right corner, tap Edit.
- Drag the box around your video from the left or right side to trim the beginning or the end, respectively.
- Touch Done.
If you want to trim Snapchat screen recording:
- Open Photos app and choose your screen recording.
- Tap Edit in the upper right corner.
- Tap the Crop button (it’s the fourth icon from the bottom).
- Drag the box to the area of the video that you want to trim in your recording.
- Touch Done.
Although posts shared on Snapchat are meant to be temporary, you may enjoy saving your memories from time to time. Fortunately, there are ways to save and relive the moments you shared with your Snapchat friends. And hopefully this article has helped you figure out how to save and maybe even edit the videos you have saved. If you are also wondering how to save Instagram videos, check out the tutorial we posted above.