If you are reading this article, chances are you have ended up with a broken screen on your Android phone. Although phone screens are quite sturdy, a single drop can completely break them. If you are trying to save data from your phone, keep reading this guide and we will show you how to access an Android phone with a broken screen.
How to access an Android phone with a broken screen?
If you have a broken screen on your phone, there are several ways to get the data back. For some of the steps, you will need additional equipment. The method you choose for data recovery depends on how cracked your screen is. Let’s see them.
You have a broken screen, the screen is somewhat visible, and your touch function is working
This is the best possible scenario. If your screen is even partially broken, the best thing to do is transfer all your data to your computer, in case the crack spreads and you need to replace your screen. In this case, you don’t need any additional equipment, except the USB cable that you usually use to charge your phone.
- Unlock your phone.
- Connect your phone to your computer with a USB cable.
- Tap the “File transfer mode” option.
- Use your computer to access your phone and retrieve all your files.
You have a broken screen, the screen is visible, but its touch function does not work
You dropped the phone, you can see everything on the screen, but the touch screen is not working. If this sounds familiar, there is a way to access your phone, but you will need additional equipment: a USB mouse and a USB hub with an HDMI port. These are the steps you need to follow:
- First of all, check if your phone is unlocked. If you are lucky and you have the fingerprint / face unlock option enabled, you will be able to unlock your phone that way. If you have to unlock it by entering a password, see the next steps.
- Take your USB cable, plug it into your phone, and plug the other end into the USB hub.
- Take the USB mouse and plug it into the hub as well.
- As you can see the screen on your phone, use the mouse to navigate, enter the password and unlock your phone.
- Once you have unlocked your phone, connect your USB hub to the PC.
- When you plug it in, you will see a message on your phone that says “File transfer mode.”
- Touch this with the mouse.
- Your phone will now be connected to your PC. You can use your PC to navigate your phone and save all your important files to your computer.
It has a broken screen, it is completely black and its touch function is working
This can happen due to physical damage to your phone. How do you know your phone is working? You hear the notification sounds and feel the vibration. If you try to unlock your phone by memory, you will also hear the unlock sound. Fortunately, there is a way to recover data from a phone in this situation. In this case, you will need another Android phone and we will explain why:
- The first thing to do is connect your phone to a charger as soon as possible. Your phone must be on and charged.
- Take the other Android phone. Preferably, this phone is the same model as yours. Otherwise, it should be running the same version of the operating system as your phone.
- Connect the other Android phone to your computer with a USB cable.
- You may see a pop-up screen where you need to select “File Transfer Mode”.
- Remember where you pressed the screen on this phone.
- Now, take your phone and connect it to the computer using the USB cable.
- Since your screen is black, you won’t be able to see anything. Fortunately, you have practiced this on the other Android phone and now you know which part of the screen to touch.
- If you’ve managed to connect it, you should hear a notification sound.
- Now, you can access your phone from your computer and save all your important files.
Note: If your phone is locked with the fingerprint / facial recognition option, you will be able to easily unlock it as your screen is working. If you have a pattern that you need to use, try practicing it on the other Android phone before memorizing it. The same is true if you have a password that you must enter.
It has a broken screen, it is completely black and its touch function does not work
This is the worst case. Saving data from a phone in this condition is difficult, but not impossible. There are several things you can try.
Connect your phone to a TV
To do this, you need a USB mouse, a USB hub, an HDMI cable, a mouse, and a TV.
- Connect the USB hub to your phone.
- Connect the HDMI cable to your TV.
- Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to your USB hub.
- Connect the mouse to your USB hub. If you have a Bluetooth mouse and a smart TV, you should be able to connect it directly to your TV.
- Turn on the TV and select the HDMI source.
- You will now be able to access your phone through your television. You can back up your files, adjust your settings, or you can try installing one of the backup applications available on the market.
When enabled, this option allows you to access your phone through a computer with a USB cable without asking for permission. Since this allows access to your phone, it is disabled by default and if you want to use it you need to enable it in your settings. However, if your screen is cracked, your screen is black, and the touch function is not working, you can only do this if you have successfully connected your phone to a TV, so be sure to review the steps mentioned above. proceed.
- Connect your phone to a TV.
- Now go to Settings.
- Scroll down and tap About of the phone O Upon.
- Then touch Software information.
- Find the Build number option and touch it seven times.
- To return to Settings and touch Developer options.
- From here, press the toggle button to enable USB debugging.
- Once you’ve enabled USB debugging, connect your phone to your computer. You should be able to access your phone and retrieve valuable data.
If you have the same Google account on your phone and computer, you can access the account from the computer and try to save the files you need. However, if you have not synchronized your phone, this method will not be successful.
- Open your browser.
- Writes “
google accountAnd open it.
- Log in.
- Access the synced files.
Use of third party applications
Some third-party apps, for example Vysor, can help you access your phone. However, if you didn’t have them installed on your phone before breaking the screen, it would be almost impossible to do so with the screen completely dark and unresponsive. Also, these applications require you to connect your phone to your computer, and for that, you will have to enable USB debugging.
When it comes to these apps, most users found them too complicated to use, especially with a completely destroyed screen.
When nothing works
If you have tried all of the above and still cannot access your phone, unfortunately, it seems that your phone has been badly damaged. In this case, the best thing to do is take it to a professional who could either replace your screen or get your lost data back.
Better safe than sorry
Breaking a phone screen can happen to anyone. With just one drop, all your files can be trapped on your device. If your screen is completely broken, it is very difficult to access and extract files from it. However, there are a few things you can do to get your files back if something happens to your phone.
It is important to keep a backup of your phone. In this way, you can save valuable files and photos in one place. You can use cloud services like Google Drive and set up an automatic backup, or you can do it manually. Also, you can transfer the files from your phone to your computer with a USB cable or save them to an external hard drive or USB flash drive.
To avoid damaging your phone if you drop it, make sure you have a protective case and screen. These will help you keep your device safe and avoid serious damage to your phone.
A broken screen is a horrible scene
If you’ve ever had a cracked screen, you’re familiar with the feeling of dread when you think of all the files that might have been lost. Fortunately, there are ways to access your phone even if it has a broken screen. In this step-by-step guide, we have included various tips and tricks that you can use to extract valuable files from your phone. But remember: prevention is always better! Try to keep your data backed up at all times and your phone protected.
Have you ever tried to recover data from a phone with a broken screen? Let us know in the comment section below.