As the largest and most popular platform for video content, YouTube has become the go-to place for all demographics. From kids and adults to seniors, millions of people turn to this website when searching for various videos, be it short funny clips or detailed tutorials.
Due to the variety of ages among its audience, YouTube had to impose certain restrictions on the type of content uploaded to the site and who can access it. While the platform does not allow strictly adult content, some videos are still deemed inappropriate for younger audiences.
This is where YouTube’s age restriction policy comes in. And while it’s certainly useful, it can be annoying to search for a specific video and find that it’s banned.
The easiest way to solve this problem would be to simply log into your account. However, if that’s not an option, there are other ways to watch what you want on YouTube. In this article, we will show you how to bypass the age restriction on YouTube and enjoy all the content on the platform without limitations.
How to bypass YouTube’s age restriction on an iPhone
You can bypass the age restriction on your iPhone’s YouTube app in just a few simple steps:
- Open the YouTube app on your iPhone.
- Check if you are logged into your account. You should see your account image in the upper right corner.
- If you are logged in, tap your account picture. This will open your account menu.
- At the bottom of the menu, you will see the “Settings” and “Help & Feedback” options separated from the rest of the list. Tap on “Settings” to open the YouTube menu.
- You will see various options for the YouTube app. The “Restricted mode” will be among the first. If these modes are activated, it will be marked with a blue button on the right.
- Touch the blue button. It should slide to the left and turn white, which means “Restricted Mode” has been disabled.
Disabling “Restricted Mode” should allow viewing of all content without age restriction.
How to bypass YouTube age restriction on Android device
There are several options available if you want to access age-restricted YouTube videos on your Android device.
First, you can disable “Restricted Mode” in the YouTube application. This method is very similar to the one used for iPhone:
- Open the YouTube app on your Android device.
- Touch your profile icon in the upper right to enter your account options.
- Tap on ‘Settings’, which will be near the bottom of the menu.
- Go to “General”. It should be the first option from the top.
- In the “General” menu, scroll down until you see “Restricted Mode.”
- If “Restricted Mode” is activated, it will have a blue button on the right side. Tap it to deactivate this mode.
Alternatively, you can use various Android apps to bypass YouTube’s age restriction. The safest option would be an application like VLC player.
The VLC player has a feature that allows video streaming from any URL including YouTube. To use this feature, follow these steps:
- Install VLC player on your device. This application is available in Google Play Store.
- Open the application and tap “More”, represented by three dots in the lower right.
- You will see a rectangle with a plus sign labeled “New Transmission.” Play it.
- Paste the URL of the YouTube video you want to watch into the address bar and tap the arrow next to it.
Once you have done these steps, VLC will start streaming the requested video, bypassing the age restriction.
Finally, you can use third-party applications that allow you to watch any YouTube video while disconnected from your account. For the most part, these apps have a similar interface to the YouTube app and work the same way, with the difference that they don’t require you to log in to view restricted content.
However, be careful when installing such apps, especially since some are not available on the Google Play Store and you will need to download them from an unverified source.
How to bypass YouTube age restriction on PC?
Bypassing the age restriction will be by far the easiest thing on a PC. While browsing YouTube videos on your computer, you will have many options and techniques at your disposal to access age-restricted content.
Websites like “YouTube NSFW” or “Play Repeat” will allow you to watch any YouTube video without logging in. In both cases, all you need to do to make the age-restricted video play is change the URL.
For YouTube NSFW, you will need to enter “nsfw” right after “youtube” in the URL to make it look like this:
In the case of “Listen on repeat”, you must enter “repeat” before “youtube” in the address bar. Your new URL should start with
Another method to avoid age restriction on YouTube while on your PC is to use specialized software or sites that allow you to download YouTube videos to your hard drive. Once you download the video, no restrictions will apply.
How to avoid YouTube age restriction on television?
YouTube age restriction may appear on your smart TV for various reasons. It is possible that you are not signed in with the correct account or that the YouTube application is in “Restricted mode”.
In many cases, smart TVs use a brand account as the default login. Those accounts are subject to age restrictions and will not display all the content available on YouTube.
You can solve this problem by switching to your personal account. The exact steps will vary depending on the particular model of Smart TV you own, but you will likely find account options in the “Settings” menu or its equivalent.
When logging into your account, make sure you have entered your birth year information. If that information is missing, YouTube will display content suitable for minors by default.
If you suspect that your YouTube app is in “Restricted Mode”, here is how to disable the mode:
- On your TV, open the YouTube app and verify that you are signed in.
- Go to “Settings” and enter the menu by pressing “OK” or any confirmation button on your TV controller.
- Navigate to the “Restricted Mode” option.
- In the message that appears, select “Disabled”.
This method will allow you to disable “Restricted Mode” for YouTube on your TV. Once you’ve done that, all videos should play normally.
Unblock everything YouTube has to offer
Bypassing the restrictions can open a large amount of content on YouTube that would otherwise be inaccessible. Since many videos that have educational, informational, or entertainment value are subject to the site’s age restriction policy, circumventing that restriction could be quite helpful.
After all, YouTube’s algorithm isn’t flawless at flagging content as inappropriate for younger audiences, and you can place certain videos in that category even though they may be perfectly safe for viewing.
However, it’s worth noting that, in most cases, YouTube’s age restriction exists for good reason. Now that you know how to get around that restriction, it would be better to check whether the content you are trying to view is suitable or not before using the suggested methods.
Have you managed to bypass YouTube’s age restriction on your platform? What age-restricted video did you want to watch? Let us know in the comment section below.