Since its founding in 2010, Instagram has become the go-to platform for people who want to share their lives with friends, family, and the general public. One of the features that has struck a chord among users is Instagram Stories.
To make sure you don’t miss out on the best Stories from the people you follow, Instagram automatically sends you a notification every time someone updates their Stories. But those same notifications can also be distracting for some and can keep you glued to your device even when you should be concentrating on other important tasks.
Can you turn off ONLY Instagram story notifications?
Instagram Stories offer a raw view of the world of those you follow. It’s like getting a chance to watch someone else live their life, even if it’s just a minute or two a day.
Story notifications are great when you want to always be in the know, but they can also be annoying when you’re trying to avoid social media, perhaps to focus on some other task.
Also, story notifications are more prevalent than other types of notifications because most people use stories to keep their followers hooked on their profiles. As such, story notifications can be more disturbing than the other less frequent types of alerts.
But we have good news: you can turn off notifications only from Instagram Stories and continue to receive other types of notifications that could be important. If you’re interested in growing your brand, for example, you may still want to be notified every time there is a new follow-up request to respond to.
Instagram goes one step further. You have the option to mute everyone’s Instagram Stories or just turn off alerts for a specific user.
Let’s see how each of these options works.
How to turn off all notifications for Instagram stories
Instagram comes with settings that allow you to customize your alerts and choose what type of notifications you receive. But you can also choose to turn off all Story notifications if you want to take a “sabbatical” from the platform or just avoid social media for a while.
Here’s how to turn off all Instagram Story notifications on a mobile device:
- Open the Instagram app.
- Tap your avatar in the lower right corner of your screen.
- Tap the hamburger icon (the three horizontal lines) in the upper right corner. This should open the administration section of your account.
- Select “Settings” from the resulting drop-down menu.
- Touch “Notifications”.
- Select “Posts, Stories, and Comments” from the notification’s submenu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and enable the “Disable” button under “First Posts and Stories.”
And with that, you won’t have to deal with annoying Story notifications on your device.
You can also turn off all Instagram Story notifications when using a web browser like Internet Explorer or Chrome. Here’s how to do it:
- Login to your Instagram account.
- Tap your profile picture in the lower right corner of your screen.
- Select “Settings” from the pop-up menu.
- Click on “Push Notifications”. This should open a new page where you can manage all kinds of notifications, including likes, comments, new follow requests, and Stories.
- To disable all story notifications, simply enable the ‘Disable’ button next to ‘Stories’.
How to turn off Instagram story notifications for a specific user
Whenever someone you follow updates their Stories, Instagram will send you a notification in real time. This can be extremely useful if you are following someone for work or want to keep up with your friends’ lives.
However, there may come a time when you no longer want to receive notifications from a specific user. Maybe they have a habit of posting items that annoy you, or their activity on Instagram is too frequent to keep up. Too many updates from a single user can hijack your feed and make it difficult to see new Stories from other users.
Whatever the reason, you can easily disable alerts and keep your notification area quiet and clean.
Here’s how to turn off story alerts for a specific user when using a mobile device:
- Open the user’s profile.
- Tap the bell-shaped notification icon in the upper right corner.
- Turn off the button next to “Stories.”
- Open one of your History updates.
- Tap the post ellipsis (three horizontal lines) in the upper right corner.
- Tap ‘Turn off story notifications’.
If you’re running Instagram through the Instagram TV app for Android or iOS, here’s how to turn off story notifications for a specific user:
- Open the user’s profile. You can do this by tapping your username in Feed or searching for your username.
- Touch “Following”.
- Turn off the button next to “Stories.”
And that is. After following these steps, you will not receive an automatic notification every time the user shares a photo or video.
Order your notification area
Instagram Stories are great, but they can also be annoying. For one thing, you don’t want to miss out on important notifications from your friends and family. On the other hand, you want to stay away from very active profiles that update their Stories many times a day with content that may not add value to your brand or business. You may also simply want to avoid spending too much time on Instagram.
If you’ve found yourself in any of these situations, it’s best to turn off alerts for the specific people flooding you with posts. Alternatively, you can turn off all History alerts and order your notification area for as long as you like.
Are you an Instagram enthusiast? Have you tried turning off all story notifications?
Feel free to share your experience in the comment section below.