Modern online games require a lot of resources from your computer. But sometimes, even if you have an above-average or top-spec machine, it is still possible to experience ping issues. Ping is measured in milliseconds (ms) and represents the time between when your computer sent a data packet to a server and the server received it.
When playing online multiplayer games, a decent ping is anything under 60 ms, while a ping value of 20-30 ms is near perfect. Unfortunately, there are times when you just can’t get a high enough ping to beat your opponents. If you can identify yourself, see the rest of this article to learn how to improve your ping.
How to reduce your ping and improve online games
Since there are numerous factors that affect the quality of your connection to the game server, there is a list of things you can do.
- Make sure to disable any updates that may be running in the background. These are the most likely cause of high pings, as they will download without you noticing, taking up your Internet bandwidth. For example, you can go to Settings> Update and security> Advanced options, select Puse updates and set a value.
- If you are running multiple apps in the background while playing an online game, this can also use up a lot of your device’s resources and cause connection issues. The best practice, in this case, is to close any background applications and allow your computer or console to fully dedicate itself to the game you are playing.
- If you are using a Wi-Fi connection, the first thing to try is to reset your router.
- Next, try moving the router in the hope that your gaming device picks up a better signal.
- Sometimes there may be one or two nearby devices interfering with the Wi-Fi signal. Try moving any suspicious devices to another room, just to make sure they’re not the ones causing the problem.
- If none of this works, then you need to connect your device directly to the router using an Ethernet cable. This will provide a connection that is much less sensitive to any outside interference.
- Finally, check the system requirements for the game you are playing. If your computer cannot process all the information on time, this is when a network delay may appear. To resolve this issue, be sure to use the graphics settings that the game automatically recommends. If this does not resolve the high ping, try reducing the screen resolution or the quality of the visual details.
If none of these options help you significantly improve your ping, you can try messing with the game settings. Since each game has specific characteristics, the next few sections will cover some of the most popular games today.
How to reduce your ping on Roblox
When playing Roblox online, the first thing to do is check the graphics settings of the game. Depending on your computer settings, lowering the graphics quality a bit could improve your ping.
- Catch Escape on your keyboard to open the main menu.
- Now click Graphics to open the corresponding settings.
- Change the Gmodo raphics from Automatic for Manual.
- Now try narrowing down some of the available options and see how well the game plays after that.
Once you find the right balance between looks and performance, your ping will likely improve.
How to reduce your ping in Fortnite
If you’ve done everything you can to make the connection to the game server the best possible, it’s time to check out the game options that might help you.
- While in the game, press the Escape key on your keyboard.
- Then click Settings.
- In the top menu, click on the game settings icon, the one that looks like a gear.
- At Language and region section, go to Pairing region option.
- On the right side of the screen, you should see the available regions that you can use. Select the one with the lowest latency: the number in parentheses next to the region name. For example, you can find something like this: NA-WEST (52MS). This ties in with the western part of the North America region, which has a decent ping of 52 milliseconds, on average.
Once you switch to the region with the lowest ping, just exit settings and continue playing.
How to reduce your ping on PS4
To quickly improve the ping on your SONY PlayStation 4, do the following:
- In the start menu, go to Settings.
- Please select Network.
- Please select Set up the internet connection.
- Please select Wifi O LAN, depending on the connection you are currently using. To avoid confusion, LAN is the Ethernet cable connection.
- Choose your router from the list and press the Option button on the controller. Now you can check if it works on a frequency of 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz. If your PS4 is in the same room as your router, choose 5 GHz. If not, go for the 2.4 GHz option.
- Now set the following options like this:
- IP configuration: Automatic
- DNCP host name: Do not specify
- DNS configuration: Manual
- The next step is to configure the DNS settings. These will depend on your location, so use the following parameters based on your region:
1. Primary DNS: 188.8.131.52
2. Secondary DNS: 184.108.40.206
1. Primary DNS: 220.127.116.11
2. Secondary DNS: 18.104.22.168
- Now save the settings and exit the menu.
If you apply this setting, your ping should improve significantly. If not, check out the first section of this article for tips on what to do.
How to reduce your ping on Xbox
After you’ve tried the steps outlined in the first section of this article, and your Xbox is still having ping issues, you may need to force a reset of your network settings. Here’s how to do this:
- Go to the “Network Settings” menu on Xbox.
- Now choose the Get out of line option.
- Wait until the console disconnects.
- Once you are offline, wait 20-30 seconds.
- Now select Go online and wait for your Xbox to reconnect.
This will allow the router to assign a new IP address to your console, allowing you to achieve a lower ping.
How to reduce your ping on a PC
Since most of the suggestions in the first section of this article also relate to PCs, you should try them all first. If they don’t help, here is something else you can try.
Since your computer is probably using some kind of firewall or antivirus or even both, it would be wise to whitelist your online games. Thanks to this, the firewall and / or antivirus will treat the communication between the game and its server as ordinary traffic. This will reduce the number of security scans, thus avoiding possible drops in connection speed responsible for high pings.
How to lower your ping on Valorant
If you are experiencing high ping on Valorant, there is not much you can do about it other than the steps you can find in the previous sections. Review each of them, focusing especially on connecting to the servers that are geographically closest to you.
How to lower your ping in Minecraft
To resolve the lag in your Minecraft session resulting from high ping, try significantly lowering your in-game graphics settings. If the high ping persists, you know that it is not the game settings that is causing this.
- While you’re in the game, open the main menu and choose Choices, and go to Video settings.
- Put on Graphics for Fast.
- So, turn off Soft lighting.
- Significantly reduce Rendering distance.
- Put on Maximum frame rate a 60 fps.
If the game is no longer lagging, you can go back to the video settings and start increasing some of the options until you find the right balance.
What does it mean to lower the ping?
Lowering the ping means establishing a better quality connection between your computer and the game server you are using.
How can I reduce my ping?
When it comes to reducing your ping, this also means that you are trying to improve your connection speed. As mentioned above, you can reduce your ping in a number of ways. If you use Wi-Fi, try moving your router or connecting it to your computer with an Ethernet cable. Also, be sure to connect to servers dedicated to your region or those that are geographically close.
Why is my whistle so loud?
There can be many reasons for this, and the most common include poor Wi-Fi reception, network interference from nearby devices, or connecting to a server that is far from you. Also, the game’s graphics settings may be too high, causing the game to occasionally lag.
Is a higher ping better than a lower ping?
No, it’s not. A higher ping shows you how long it takes your computer to send a signal to the server. If it takes longer than it should, you will have higher ping values. You want to keep it as low as possible, which means there is almost no latency in communication between your computer and the server.
Keeping your ping down
Hopefully, you now know how to reduce your ping when playing video games. Whether it’s a problem with your network settings or something specific to the game you’re playing, you’ll likely be able to solve the problem.
Just keep in mind that most of the time, ping issues come from a poor network connection, rather than the game itself. And sometimes the fault is not at your extreme – the server you are on may be experiencing problems at the moment.
Have you managed to lower your ping? Which game have you had the most ping problems with? Share your experiences in the comment section below.