Using a VPN gives you many features, such as privacy and security, but a VPN also allows you to change your IP location. For example, if you live in the UK, you can use a VPN to make it look like you are in the US, Japan, or South Africa. While using a VPN may seem like a challenge, the process is relatively straightforward. If you are looking to change your IP location, you have come to the right place. In this article, we show you how to change your location using a VPN on multiple devices.
How to use a VPN to change your location on a Firestick
There are several VPN providers available. However, to get the most out of your VPN, we suggest that you use a reputable provider, such as ExpressVPN.
Connecting your Firestick to a VPN to change your location is quick and easy:
- Register for ExpressVPN
- Open the Amazon App Store on your Firestick device and search for ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app.
- Sign in to the ExpressVPN app. The application will ask you if you want to share anonymous information to make it more reliable. Make your selection to continue.
- Next, a screen will appear asking you to accept ExpressVPN’s connection request. Click on “OK”.
- To select your location, click on the three-dot icon next to the “Smart Location” bar.
- Go to the “All Locations” tab.
- Choose your preferred continent, country and city.
- Connect to the VPN server and change your IP location by clicking the big connect button.
- Wait for the “Connected” message to appear. Once you have done that, you can navigate to the application of your choice.
How to use a VPN to change your location on a Roku streaming device
Setting up a VPN on a Roku streaming device is a bit different. First, you need to create an ExpressVPN account if you don’t already have one. Since Roku does not support VPN directly, you must apply the VPN to your router. You can read our guide on the subject here for brand-specific settings
Each router is slightly different, and each has a unique set of instructions that you must follow, so be sure to locate and use the correct ones. After following these steps, follow the instructions below to change the IP location displayed by your Roku device:
- Sign up for a ExpressVPN account
- On a computer connected to your VPN-protected router, go to the official ExpressVPN website and log into your account.
- A screen will open indicating your current connection to the server. If you want to change this location, click “Select another location” and choose the new location for your server.
- Make sure your Roku account is set up in the same country as the VPN server you just chose to avoid conflicts. If you already have a Roku account and the location settings do not match, we suggest that you create a second new Roku account and choose the location to match your VPN.
- Once your locations match, open your Roku device and head to “Settings.”
- Choose “Network”.
- Select “Set up connection”.
- Select the Wi-Fi connection of the router now connected to ExpressVPN.
- Enter your Wi-Fi password.
Your router now creates a connection from the Roku device to ExpressVPN, showing the new location.
How to use a VPN to change your location on an Apple TV
Apple TV is another platform that does not support VPN programs. In this case, using a VPN on your router will help you fix this problem.
Before you begin, you will need an ExpressVPN account and a router that this provider supports. Each router model has a specific set of instructions that you will need to follow to install the VPN. First, sign up for ExpressVPN account and then follow our instructions. Once you have finished this setup, use these instructions to change the IP geo location on your Apple TV:
- On a PC or mobile device connected to your VPN-protected router, go to the official ExpressVPN website and log in.
- The page that opens will show the server you are currently connected to. To change this location, click “Select another location”.
- Choose the new location for your server.
- On Apple TV, go to “Settings” followed by “Network.”
- In the “Network” menu, find the Wi-Fi connection associated with your VPN-protected router and select it.
- Restart your Apple TV.
How to use a VPN to change your location on a PC
Changing your location on your PC using a VPN takes just a few minutes:
- Make sure you have a ExpressVPN bill.
- Launch the application on your PC and log in.
- Select the icon with three dots next to the “Smart Locations” bar.
- Choose the tab at the top called “All Locations.”
- Select the continent, country and city of your preference.
- Click on the big “Connect” button.
When the ring around the button turns green, you are connected to this new location server and it will show your new IP location.
How to use a VPN to change your location on an iPhone
Whether you want to change the location on your iPhone to play games or stream your favorite show, you can use a VPN. These are the steps to follow:
- Sign up for a ExpressVPN bill
- Download the ExpressVPN app from the App Store, install it on your iPhone, and create an account if you haven’t already.
- Login to your account.
- On the screen that opens, tap the three-dot icon next to the “Smart location” bar.
- Touch the “All Locations” tab to choose a specific location.
- The “Home” screen should appear once you have made your location selection.
- Press the large “Connect” button on the screen.
When the icon turns green, your IP address’s new location is set to your chosen new location and your VPN is on.
How to use a VPN to change your location on an iPad
Changing your location on an iPad using a VPN is similar to how you would on an iPhone. If you are new to ExpressVPN, start the steps from the beginning. However, if you already have the app, go to Step 3 below:
- Sign up for a ExpressVPN account
- Open the App Store and download and install ExpressVPN in you iPad.
- Create an account.
- Sign in to Express VPN.
- In the ExpressVPN application, you will see a “Smart Location” bar that suggests a location. Tap the icon with the three dots next to the bar for a new location.
- Click on the “All Locations” tab.
- Choose the continent, country and city to select the server you want to use.
- Select the “Connect” button to connect to your VPN and the new IP location.
How to use a VPN to change your location on an Android phone
Setting your Android device to show a new location using a VPN only takes a few quick steps:
- Sign up for a ExpressVPN account
- Go to the Google Play Store and download the ExpressVPN app if you haven’t already.
- Created a new account or log into an existing one.
- Look for the “Smart Location” bar and a small icon with three dots on the home screen. Touch the three-dot icon to open the “Locations” menu.
- Select the “All Locations” tab from the menu.
- Choose your server location based on continent, country and city.
- The main screen will reappear. Press the large “Connect” button.
When connected, the ring around this icon will turn green and your Android device will show your new IP location.
Using a VPN to change your location is beneficial for many reasons.
You can use this tool to stream shows from other countries on platforms like Netflix. This allows you to watch the shows you really want to watch rather than limiting it to those licensed to show your country. Also, using a VPN for spoofing allows you to find matches in different locations in apps like Raya or Tinder.
Setting up a VPN on your device to change your location can seem like a challenge. However, following the simple steps in this guide makes it simple, and you’ll soon be able to access the games and stream the shows you want to watch the most, regardless of your physical location.
Have you changed the location on your device using a VPN? Did you use a method similar to the ones shown in this article? Let us know in the comment section.